Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: When will TAK go open source? (Read 57342 times) previous topic - next topic

When will TAK go open source?

Reply #75
If I might elucidate as a mere fan of lossless compression in general, the fear that TAK's code to be stolen is not as much the issue as the credit for work done to date. Thomas has been a a "hobbiest" of lossless compression and his personal project has been going for quite some time before he decided to mention to the public that his formula was quite competitive to existing ones.

Since going public TAK has already used in at least one commercial software iVST installation software, has a DShow filter and other public software that allow it to be used in Winamp and FB2K, and there are likely other implementations that I have managed to overlook.

In short: it works. And damn good too

The question is: What can YOU (and I) do to help TAK and the author achieve beneficial success to the user and the author alike?

The major issue I can see is with licensing. It seems to me that licensing is tricky and involves a lot of research. Remember that TAK was a hobby before legal and patent aspects started to infringe. Thomas should be granted credit for his contributions if the tech is, in fact, original and can be described and patented under existing regulations. This requires legal expertise and confidentiality, not to mention the time and money to apply for such licenses. A sole person doing this as a hobby can not examine these aspects without stalling development.

Please bear in mind I'm not an expert with legal and business aspects of audio tech, I just want a fair outcome for people who have done their homework. Personally, I think TAK is a very nice addition to the lossless compression community if it's only to keep the other lossless audio developers on their toes.

I'd like to thank Thomas for bringing TAK to the public and offering it to be used essentially for free and support of the philosophy of better inventions. Thank you!
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"