Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [NOT HELPFUL] From: Audiograbber Vs EAC (Read 6228 times) previous topic - next topic

[NOT HELPFUL] From: Audiograbber Vs EAC

EAC is a secure ripper, in that its job is to spot and potentially correct (by re-reading) errors. A non-secure ripper will not do this.

For discs with no damage (note damage can be invisible to the eye, called manufacturing defects), all rippers should rip the same (once drive offsets are accounted for).

audiograbber's secure

Reply #3
Sometimes burst-mode is best for ripping some scratched CD's. In my experience EAC will sometimes (if configured to use secure mode) spend too much time trying to correct errors that it can't correct anyway, but which the drive itself will correct in burst-mode.

There is nothing inherently different between EAC's burst and secure modes as far as the drive is concerned.  If you're getting accurate rips in burst mode but not secure mode, it is for some other reason; your drive will attempt error correction in either situation.

Another thing is that C2 (secure mode) error correction is very drive-dependant.

The ability to correct C2 errors effectively may very well be drive-dependent.  Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with EAC's secure mode or EAC's option to make use of C2 pointers, however.

I've been ripping thousands of CD's using a few different drives. My suggestions are based on my experience, not on technical knownledge. If you feel the need to bash my experiences once again, come up with some technical explanations why I've had several badly scratched CD's that EAC could easily rip accurately in burst mode, while failing in secure mode!
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #4
It is not my problem that you don't enjoy having someone correct your misinformation, odyssey.

Let me say it again more plainly, EAC does not have the ability to tell your drive to turn on or off error correction.

If it weren't for your statement that EAC has AccurateRip support while Audiograbber does not, I would have binned your post entirely for being misleading (along with the one from hidn, about which you had no problem taking objection yourself).  It isn't as if Tahnru didn't already point that out, however.

Reply #5
Funny how my experience, in your opinion always turns out as misinformation.

Reply #6
Let me say it again more plainly, EAC does not have the ability to tell your drive to turn on or off error correction.

I never said it did. Read my posts again.

Reply #7
How do you explain why you put (secure mode) in your comment, "C2 (secure mode) error correction is very drive-dependant"?

It's funny that while I also have ripped thousands of CDs with many different makes and models of drives, I seem to be a bit more precise with the language I use to describe how EAC works.

Furthermore, unless there are issues with synchronization (which is extremely rare with AccurateStream capable drives) EAC does not perform error correction.

Reply #8
The ability to correct C2 errors effectively may very well be drive-dependent.  Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with EAC's secure mode or EAC's option to make use of C2 pointers, however.

Are you implying that C2 error correction takes place even using burst-mode?

Reply #9
How do you explain why you put (secure mode) in your comment, "C2 (secure mode) error correction is very drive-dependant"?

I was referring to the fact that some drives have a bad implementation of C2 correction.

It's funny that while I also have ripped thousands of CDs with many different makes and models of drives, I seem to be a bit more precise with the language I use to describe how EAC works.

Yet, you didn't give the technical explanation of my experience.

Reply #10

I was referring to the fact that some drives have a bad implementation of C2 correction.

(Again!) this has nothing to do with EAC or EAC's setting to rely on a drive's C2 pointers.  Merely looking at the language EAC uses in its configuration and in its log files should be enough to understand that there's a difference between C2 correction and C2 pointers.  Nowhere in EAC will you see anything that explicitly states that it has any control over a drive's error correction. 

Yet, you didn't give the technical explanation of my experience.

I think that's up to you since you're the one making erroneous assumptions about how EAC works.

Reply #11

I'm not implying it, I'm telling you that it's a statement of fact.

So while you're telling us that you never disagreed with what I said, you're now disagreeing or are you simply asking for clarification?

Reply #12
I think that's up to you since you're the one making erroneous assumptions about how EAC works.

Which is...????

Reply #13

I'm not implying it, I'm telling you that it's a statement of fact.

Anyway, I'm reffering to the EAC option of secure mode where it uses C2 pointers in contrary to burst mode. Maybe you should direct your complaints to the developers of both EAC and dBpoweramp as both softwares has options to use C2 pointers in secure modes. I suppose this would be wrong based on your comments here.

Reply #14

Which is...????

Which is that EAC somehow has the ability to correct errors or control how a drive corrects errors.

Funny that you didn't start using the word pointers until I used it.

EDIT: Do you realize that corrected/correctable C2 errors and C2 pointers are two different things?  There is a reason why I made the comment about making an effort to be precise.

Reply #15
Maybe you should direct your complaints to the developers of both EAC and dBpoweramp as both softwares has options to use C2 pointers in secure modes.

I have no complaints with the way either of these programs present the options to make use of C2 pointers in terms of the language used.  I have gone on record requesting that Andre consider changing the way he uses C2 pointers in his secure ripping routine, as a matter of fact.