Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lame 3.98.3 (Read 7364 times) previous topic - next topic

lame 3.98.3

I wonder why theres nothing about 3.98.3 in the news thread, wiki etc. All I can find is announcement on the lame site and a couple threads here about binary mistakes.

Usually theres a monster thread after a new lame release, but not now. I need to encode some stuff and i dont know which version to use.

lame 3.98.3

Reply #1
Big updates like 3.96 -> 3.97 -> 3.98 are usually announced in a more visible manner. Smaller version increments like 3.98.2 -> 3.98.3 don't make such a splash but are generally safe to upgrade to.
we was young an' full of beans

lame 3.98.3

Reply #2
see this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=78114

sets the stage for the update, which only provides a less bitrate-intensive workaround for compatibility with old WMP decoder. Lame 3.98.2 and earlier 3.98 had --strictly-enforce-iso enabled by default, which meant less-flexible handling of bit reservoir, and thus less-efficient use of bits at high bitrates.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

lame 3.98.3

Reply #3
Is there an alternate site to download the binaries for LAME 3.98.3?

I've tried for the last two days to get to RareWares and all I get is a blank page.

It's not my connection, as I can get to all other 'Net sites fine (i.e. Google, MSNBC, Yahoo, BBC.co.uk, etc.)

lame 3.98.3

Reply #6
Actually thanks for the heads-up, I missed that "update" completely although it would save me a couple of bits.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

lame 3.98.3

Reply #7
Wiki entry changed to "Stable release:     3.98.3".

lame 3.98.3

Reply #8
What this means? -> K-Lite Mega Codec Pack Changelog
Reverted LAME MP3 ACM codec to version 3.98.2 because version 3.98.3 does not work properly on certain Windows XP systems.

This problem affects the encoder?

lame 3.98.3

Reply #9
K-Lite people didn't tell us about problems with 3.98.3. From looking around a bit, it looks like that problem happens on AthlonXP machines only. This sounds like a building problem, likely using SSE2 instructions, which will fail on old processors. But this is my guess only, as we have no report from them.

Edit: Found the following info on Codec Guide Forum:
Actually it is build specific, not LAME specific. The binary came from http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php

lame 3.98.3

Reply #10
K-Lite people didn't tell us about problems with 3.98.3. From looking around a bit, it looks like that problem happens on AthlonXP machines only. This sounds like a building problem, likely using SSE2 instructions, which will fail on old processors. But this is my guess only, as we have no report from them.

Edit: Found the following info on Codec Guide Forum:
Actually it is build specific, not LAME specific. The binary came from http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php

Yes, the K-Lite Codec Packs pride themselves on being compatible as far back as Windows 2000 and Pentium III / Athlon systems.

That means only MMX and normal SSE with some 3DNow! functionality for the Athlons.

No SSE2/SSE3/SSE4 instructions that could break functionality on 'old' CPUs that don't support them.

One of my systems I use K-Lite with is definitely a 10 year old Windows 2000 system with the original Athlon Thunderbird 1400 MHz CPU.