Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best MAC Ripper/Encoder Option! (Read 5207 times) previous topic - next topic

Best MAC Ripper/Encoder Option!

Hello all,

I was a long term PC user who used "religiously" encoded his MP3s using EAC with Lame encoder.

I just moved to a new iMAC and was wondering what is currently regarded as the best CD ripper / encoder for the MAC?

I see lots of talk about XLD. Is it just as accurate as EAC claimed to be?

Also, I remember setting my CDROM offset in EAC. Do I have to do the same? Is there an offset used for all MAC DVD drives?

Thanks,

Robert

Reply #1
Check out Rip.

XLD is also a good alternative.

Reply #2
Hello all,

I was a long term PC user who used "religiously" encoded his MP3s using EAC with Lame encoder.

I just moved to a new iMAC and was wondering what is currently regarded as the best CD ripper / encoder for the MAC?

Also, I remember setting my CDROM offset in EAC. Do I have to do the same? Is there an offset used for all MAC DVD drives?

Thanks,

Robert

having a iMac and a MacBook for ripping myself I like to add to sbooth's comment that you might wan't to think about buying an external dvd player/burner. iMac's internal drive is like a laptop drive and will die quickly if you have to do a lot of ripping in secure mode (I found out the hard way).

But XLD and rip are both good. Personally I prefer one, but you might like the other just try them both as they are free.

The make of you dvd drive can be found by clicking on the apple/about this mac/more info, you see a list with all the hardware there.
cheers

Reply #3
Hello all,

Thanks,

Robert

I use Max to rip to FLAC and iTunes to encode to AAC using a FlactoiTunes Applescript.  You can also encode to mp3 with iTunes.

Tony

Reply #4
ruud170, any advice or suggestions on a high quality external drive for ripping on a mac ?

Reply #5
ruud170, any advice or suggestions on a high quality external drive for ripping on a mac ?

Get one of those external enclosures and just pull the favorite drive from your pc.
cheers

Reply #7
Any stand alone drives like Plextor or something like that?

Reply #8
Any stand alone drives like Plextor or something like that?

sorry Brian, I have no real answer for you. I own two highly priced Plextor drives and a whole bunch of cheaper LG, Sony, Samsung and what have you more... I don't hear a difference between a Plextor or LG rip (300 euro or 50 euro). I only posted 'cause I ruined more than one internal notebook drive (including one in my 24 inch iMac and two macbook drives) while doing a lot of ripping. figured I warn the O.P., but other than that I'm just a happy reader with little advice.
Which is best?, I dunno. Seems to me sometimes two the same drives are not the same, so maybe luck is an issue?

to me it's good when it is sturdy... ripping seems to ask a lot of the hardware inside your dvd player, but I'm seriously just a n00b who still has to figure out what a c2 error pointer does.
cheers

Reply #9
I don't hear a difference between a Plextor or LG rip (300 euro or 50 euro).

...and you never will except when there are errors, which will be audible as clicks or otherwise interrupted audio.  Remember, these drives are only passing along digital data.

Reply #10
In general I would recommend a FireWire external enclosure with a SATA interface. I've had good luck with Pioneer and Samsung drives.

Reply #11
Robert[/quote]

having a iMac and a MacBook for ripping myself I like to add to sbooth's comment that you might wan't to think about buying an external dvd player/burner. iMac's internal drive is like a laptop drive and will die quickly if you have to do a lot of ripping in secure mode (I found out the hard way).

But XLD and rip are both good. Personally I prefer one, but you might like the other just try them both as they are free.

The make of you dvd drive can be found by clicking on the apple/about this mac/more info, you see a list with all the hardware there.
[/quote]
How many rips did you perform that killed your drive? I ripped/encoded about 100 CDs last summer on my PC Plextor 740A DVD burner and it is still kicking. I infrequently purchase physical CDs any longer so I'd be looking at ripping maybe 10 CDs a year. I think my drive could handle that!

Reply #12
yes 10 a year should be fine... also your internal plextor should be fine. it's not as weak as a laptop drive (which is also in the iMac) I'm in the process of ripping my whole collection (started collecting in the 80s) so I do a lot of ripping. Though I couldn't tell you exactly how much before the drives broke. BTW props to Mac for replacing my drives without any problem (or money involved). I think the late 2007 MacBook drive went down after a week, but I did do a lot of ripping in that week. Anyway, just thought it's something you wan't to know before you start ripping a lot using the iMac.
cheers