Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Q: Bit-perfect output with Wine or virtual machine? (Read 5854 times) previous topic - next topic

Q: Bit-perfect output with Wine or virtual machine?

My file server, to be stored in a different room (getting rid of the noise) will run OpenSolaris with ZFS or maybe Linux with btrfs.

It is tempting to virtualize away the MS-Windows box which will essentially only run fb2k (which could be put in the same closet, drilling a hole in the wall for monitor and keyboard/mouse cables), but I do not want to sacrifice bit-perfect 44.1/16 output.

Assuming the host OS is capable of delivering such: how will a wine'd or virtualbox'ed fb2k do?

Reply #1
wine'd foobar2000 will do fine, but due to a limitation of wine itself, it will be limited to playing back 44100Hz 16-bit sample data, or whatever you have configured as your wine DirectSound default. Anything else will be resampled using the nearest neighbor algorithm, which will sound like crap. Easily solved by adding a resampler to the DSP chain. (This is better than 5 years ago, when the sound output would be resampled to 22050Hz 8-bit. wine dev is still waiting on someone to rewrite their DirectSound layer to be more like Vista/7, which would probably be simpler to design around than the current mess anyway. lol FOSS.)

Reply #2
limited to playing back 44100Hz 16-bit sample data, or whatever you have configured as your wine DirectSound default.

And 24bits files would be simply truncated to 16? (I guess I can live with that.)

Reply #3
Assuming that wine doesn't actually support setting the default primary buffer format to 24 bits. I know the configuration program only allows for various discrete sample rates up to 48KHz and 8 or 16 bits per sample, but maybe wine itself supports more by editing the configuration or registry or whatever.

Reply #4
If you are willing to use a USB sound card/DAC you could just use USB pass-through to the Windows VM.  That should give you bitperfect output assuming the device supports it.

Reply #5
If you are willing to use a USB sound card/DAC you could just use USB pass-through to the Windows VM.  That should give you bitperfect output assuming the device supports it.

Nowadays I just a a USB-to-SPDIF(coax) converter yes. ASIO4ALL gives bit-perfect out to this device. And Virtualbox or VMWare Player will let that pass through you say? (I am a total n00b on this, sorry ...)

Reply #6
Nowadays I just a a USB-to-SPDIF(coax) converter yes. ASIO4ALL gives bit-perfect out to this device. And Virtualbox or VMWare Player will let that pass through you say? (I am a total n00b on this, sorry ...)

I can't comment on VMWare, but it works fine in Virtualbox.  The only "catch" is that you need the full version (still free) and not the Open Source Edition.

Once you add your USB converter it should show up in your virtual Windows box as if you plugged it into a real machine.  You can then install the drivers and use it as normal.