Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help (Read 7442 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Good Afternoon, definite newbie here but I always loved the info I've seen given here so here it goes.  I have had EAC v0.95pb5 bundled with Lame 3.90.3. and have been using it for years and have been fairly happy with the results.  I have been reading that it is advisable to upgrade the version of the Lame compressor because of many reasons.  Then on the other hand I have also read that the one I have is the desirable version....so who knows.

I finally took the plunge and downloaded the zipped bundle of the Lame 3.98.2 sent it to my "My Documents" directory which is a different location from my original bundle which was in my "My Music" directory.  I have done some testing in EAC and gone back and forth changing the file extension in compression options in EAC and everything seems to be working. When I user define Lame.exe from "My Documents" it compresses through the v3.98.2 and when I user define Lame.exe from "My Music" it compresses through the v.3.90.3...however, when the ripping and compression is completed the finished files are still identified as EAC0.95pb5 - lame 3.90.3 aps files no matter which compression extension I use. Is this an association from the original bundle in the "My Music" file?

I didn't know if the new version would overwrite my old 3.90.3 if I sent it to the "My Music" directory where the EAC and Lame were originally at...so I didn't want to discard the old version until I knew what this new version was about.  I have "User Defined" Mp3 set in compression options and then the extension.  I just want to be able to get the files identified correctly with the proper compressor and to make sure that they are indeed being compressed with the version I am specifying.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #1
the finished files are still identified as EAC0.95pb5 - lame 3.90.3 aps

Where are you seeing this information?  If in the COMMENTS field, then it's being written there by EAC based on whatever it says on the "Compression Options" > "Offset" tab and is user-definable.

Open your files in foobar2000 and look at Properties to confirm which version of LAME was used.  That said, if you point "Compression Options" > "External Compressor" > "Program" to the place you put the newer LAME.exe then that is the one being used.

FWIW, latest HA wiki-recommended version of EAC is 0.99pb5.

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #2
I think it would be safe to discard Lame 3.90.3 and replace it with 3.98.2.  You can simply replace the lame.exe file in your My Music directory, EAC would then use the newer edition of Lame.  You also might want to upgrade to the latest version of EAC which is now up to V0.99 prebeta 5.

Many older websites still recommend Lame 3.90.3 as they are still stuck in the days of --alt-preset standard and that one website that "established" certain ripping standards (that were far too strict).  Hydrogenaudio officially recommended Lame 3.97 back during its beta 1 days (I think it was beta 1), now 3.98.2 is the recommended version.

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #4
Apes, when I look at the properties of the mp3 file wherever I send it after compression(My Music) it is identified as 0.95pb5 - 3.90.3 aps.

Kornchild, what major advantage(s) is there as far as quality is there to upgrade to the newer version of EAC? I guess I didn't want to get stuck with all the new setup and settings. I thought maybe I would get more benefit out of just upgrading to the newer Lame version.  If you could answer this followup question it would be much appreciated...and again thank you to "both" of you for your responses!!!

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #5
The feature of EAC that you will definitely want to start making use of is AccurateRip.

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #6
@cozzey22, you don't say but if you are seeing that string in the COMMENT field of the MP3 file then it is completely arbitrary.  EAC will write whatever comment the user instructs.  If you can't delete this text from the place I mentioned above, it may instead be hard-coded in your "Compression Options" > "External Compression" > "Additional command-line options".  Look for something like --tc "EAC0.95pb5 - lame 3.90.3 aps" and remove it.

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #7
@cozzey22, you don't say but if you are seeing that string in the COMMENT field of the MP3 file then it is completely arbitrary.  EAC will write whatever comment the user instructs.  If you can't delete this text from the place I mentioned above, it may instead be hard-coded in your "Compression Options" > "External Compression" > "Additional command-line options".  Look for something like --tc "EAC0.95pb5 - lame 3.90.3 aps" and remove it.

Thanks everyone!  We'll do!!!

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #8
As pdq listed, AccurateRip support would be the big feature added to EAC.  There are changelogs out there showing what else has been added to EAC.

I am not sure why someone would want to stay in the past especially when HA recommend Lame 3.98.2 and V0.99 prebeta 5 of EAC.  I understand that there are general thoughts about upgrading software/hardware in general but we aren't talking about a whole new OS or software that will "mess" with your system.  Setting up EAC is still rather painless and AccurateRip is more than a big enough feature to upgrade to the new version.

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #9
As pdq listed, AccurateRip support would be the big feature added to EAC.  There are changelogs out there showing what else has been added to EAC.

I am not sure why someone would want to stay in the past especially when HA recommend Lame 3.98.2 and V0.99 prebeta 5 of EAC.  I understand that there are general thoughts about upgrading software/hardware in general but we aren't talking about a whole new OS or software that will "mess" with your system.  Setting up EAC is still rather painless and AccurateRip is more than a big enough feature to upgrade to the new version.

Good Advice Korn!  Well taken.  It has been a tremendous first posting experience.  You are all very helpful and informative.  Thanks a bunch!

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #10
V0.95pb5 had AccurateRip support, it just didn't integrate it into the log file.  With only a few minor bug fixes, the ripping engine in EAC between V0.95 and V0.99 is otherwise identical.

Upgrading to the most recent version will require that you reconfigure your drives, though the rest of the settings should be the same.  I think you'll probably have to recreate your profiles, if you have any.

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #11
Many older websites still recommend Lame 3.90.3 as they are still stuck in the days of --alt-preset standard and that one website that "established" certain ripping standards (that were far too strict).

This is the problem, I had EAC and LAME setup ages ago and only recently decided to rip some more CD's. My LAME version along with EAC was out of date. When you have a search in google all sorts of different websites pop up all giving different ways and different versions of software to make MP3's. I can see how EAC and LAME can appear confusing!!!

Is there a current EAC and LAME guide online with simple setup instructions? I know the Wiki is there but I mean more like a step by step tutorial.

I found http://www.uberstandard.org. Is this a safe guide to follow for good results?

EAC/Lame 3.98.2 help

Reply #12
From what I've seen in the past it looks like they go for a once size fits all approach which makes it a crappy guide, IMO.

Have a look at the wiki for more accurate information.

The one thing our wiki should say but doesn't is that there is nothing wrong with using burst mode.  Burst rips are secure if you either use test and copy (F6 or Shift+F6) or if you get positive AccurateRip results.  If you get positive AccurateRip results, test and copy is not necessary.

As a general rule regarding EAC guides, the information found in our wiki is peer reviewable and can be edited by anyone who requests an account from Jan S., who is one of our system administrators.  These other guides are usually written by just one individual.  In many cases it is clear that the information found in some guides is only plagiarized and the people presenting it clearly don't understand what they're saying.  In other cases, the information is intended to fit someone's agenda which is often centered around illegal file sharing.  We have an agenda with the guides in our wiki too, of course.  This is to provide people with the facts so that they can make their own decisions about how they want to configure and use the program.