Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping DVD Audio (Read 6351 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping DVD Audio

I just got Blue Man Group's "Audio" DVD and I would love to rip it to my harddrive so I didn't need the DVD each time I wanted to listen to it. It seems to be Doby Digital 5.1 audio. Is this possible to rip in its original format and to play it in Winamp?

thanks!

edit: Which would be better to rip? AC3 or DTS?

Ripping DVD Audio

Reply #1
I can't answer your question - though I don't think there's been a hack around yet for ripping dvd-a.

However, I can tell you if it's a dvd-a disc, you don't want to rip the DD5.1 track: this is a lossy and inferior version of the music, only meant for compatibility with simple players. The high quality losslessly compressed dvd-a data is in another track on the disc.

Edit: removed unnecessary quoting... damn, I keep doing that wrong; hitting quote when I meant reply...

Ripping DVD Audio

Reply #2
One side is DVD-Audio and the other is DVD-Video (same audio, with still pictures you can see as the music plays). It seems it has Dolby on both sides and no PCM audio or anything

Ripping DVD Audio

Reply #3
Smartripper or DVDdecrypter from www.doom9.org should be capable of handling the DVD-video side fine ... both have a stream processing feature, so you can simply extract the AC3 streams from the DVD to your HDD and process/play them from there.

BTW, if its a AC3 stream on the other side also, then its certainly NOT a DVD-Audio ....

Ripping DVD Audio

Reply #4
I got one DVD-Audio too. I'd love to rip it, but there are no DVD-A rippers out yet. But using smartripper or any other dvd-video ripper you can rip the DoblyDigital x.1 and/or the DTS stream. But as Patsoe says, these streams are compressed lossy so I don't recommend them.

As I don't have DVD-Audio player I ripped the Dolby Digtal Stream and was able to play from my harddisc.

fragtal

EDIT: AFAIK DTS has a higher bitrate than DD; so: you should use DTS
I love the moderators.

Ripping DVD Audio

Reply #6
Play AC3 in Winamp did you say? See this.

Ripping DVD Audio

Reply #7
Oh cool, an ac3 input for Winamp. I didnt know bout this, but hey, if you're into ac3 rips from DVD's, this is pretty handy.

Ripping DVD Audio

Reply #8
hey, that's very serious thing. we have audigy2, which can play DVD-A. Audigy2 uses the Crystal multichannel codec and is connected via SM-bus or something similar, so, my question is, what happen when we bypass the digital signal way TO DAC and connect it to digital line FROM ADC B) our honey bytes are flowing across the card, we only need to catch them and save them, is that right?