Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wanted : "Add selection(s) to end of playing Playlist" funct (Read 3974 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanted : "Add selection(s) to end of playing Playlist" funct

I've been using foobar for a week or so and I love most aspects of it. However, one thing which has been somewhat frustrating is lacking functionality that makes it possible to mark a selection of songs in any window and send those songs to the end of the playlist which is currently being played (not "active playlist" which foo_uie_library_tree thinks is the one you're currently looking at). I would like to be able to do it from the context menu and even more so with a hotkey.

I've found a couple of components that have similar functionality but not quite. foo_queuemanager (outdated) could send songs to the playing playlist, but would only insert them after the current playing song. The same goes for foo_trackpos. I also checked out foo_utils, but it seems it's only able to send songs to specific playlists (ex. "party playlist") and not relative ones which makes more sense when you want to hotkey the action.

Why I can find two components that can add songs to the playlist being played, but not to the bottom of it, is a mystery to me. Does this functionality exist at all? Any help would be appreciated!

If it helps you help me, here's a screenshot of what my foobar looks like. I have a search bar at the top which displays search results in my playlist window, so not actually looking at the currently playing playlist is a regular occurrence in my life.

SCREENSHOT

(By the way, I know how the queue works and I like it and this has nothing to do with it )

Reply #1
Drag'n drop?

Reply #2
Drag'n drop?

Yes, that's indeed a possibility. However :

Quote from: tore link=msg=0 date=
I would like to be able to do it from the context menu and even more so with a hotkey.

Reply #3
Checking this forum and others, I can find other people who miss this feature. For example on foo_trackpos' discussion thread :

Really cool plugin. Is it possible to have a "place last in playing playlist"-feature also?

This post also got no helpful replies. Is adding stuff to the end of the currently playing playlist simply not possible the way the program has been scripted?

Reply #4
It would be more than possible for such a feature to be added, I just don't think anyone exactly understands why it is unreasonable to expect someone to make the playing playlist the active playlist before adding tracks to it.

Moved to General, as feature requests have nothing to do with the Support forum
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #5
It would be more than possible for such a feature to bee added, I just don't think anyone exactly understands why it is unreasonable to expect someone to make the playing playlist the active playlist before adding tracks to it.

Moved to General, as feature requests have nothing to do with the Support forum

In my case, I use a searchbar to find music when I don't want to browse the library. The search results are presented in the playlist window (as a playlist).

A typical scenario when I'd like this feature is if I'm listening to a playlist - say "party playlist" - and then I search for something I'd like to add to it. The search results will become the active playlist. I'd like to be able to mark a selection from those search results and then press a hotkey or a context menu item that adds those to the bottom of the "party playlist".

People use foobar in different ways and the usefulness of this might not be universal, but I'm sure there are more than me who would benefit from this sort of functionality.

Reply #6
In my case, I use a searchbar to find music when I don't want to browse the library. The search results are presented in the playlist window (as a playlist).

Ah, OK. First off, understand that what you are doing when using the "searchbar" is actually browsing the library, even if the results are dumped in a playlist.
Secondly, note that all first party library viewers (album list, library search) have separate places to display there query results, outside of the playlist, so that this isn't a problem.

Perhaps this should be a specific request to the author of the searchbar component.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #7

Ah, OK. First off, understand that what you are doing when using the "searchbar" is actually browsing the library, even if the results are dumped in a playlist.
Secondly, note that all first party library viewers (album list, library search) have separate places to display there query results, outside of the playlist, so that this isn't a problem.

Perhaps this should be a specific request to the author of the searchbar component.

Possibly. Although if any of the devs read this, I think it would make sense for foobar to use the currently playing playlist the "active playlist" - unless no playlist is playing, then it should pick the one you are looking at.

I posted first in support because I thought this functionality might be out there and it was just that I couldn't find it. Now I'm quite surprised and a little disappointed, but at least the developer of foo_trackpos had something similar in mind, so I think I'll direct my request to him/her instead.