Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: splitting files (Read 2956 times) previous topic - next topic

splitting files

I'd need help splitting lossless file. I apologise if this has been asked a billion times. I read a few posts about it, but can't seem to work it out. I don't need to convert the file just split it to its original parts so I can skip from one song to the other and burn them on a cd. some of these file when opened in foobar will show as a single file; however some will show as multiple files that can be skipeed, but if burn on cd, cannot.
I know I need to use the .cue file, but that's about all I know

can some direct me to a topic where this perhaps has already been answered in detail, or if someone can post has an easy to follow guide I'd much appreciated

splitting files

Reply #1
You will need a cue file. Some lossless files have embedded cue files and some have a seperate cue file.
If you don't have one embedded or as a seperate file, you have to write one yourself.

If condition one or two is true, then you have to convert the single file by dragging the cue file or the
lossless file into your playlist, mark all tracks and choose converter in right click menu.
Then check "convert each track to individual file" in converter dialog, this will create multiple files as
stated in the cue file. You should also use a lossless format for converting if you are going to burn
the files to disc.

splitting files

Reply #2
Or, much simpler, use a program that supports writing CDs directly from cue sheets (and may not require prior decompression of the image file). I'm not up to date on the options, but a couple of names that come to mind are EAC and Burrrn.

splitting files

Reply #3
wow that's all there is to it! thanks Gapkiller for the detailed info. I tried with a WavPack file and it worked like a charm. I'm a happy guy! I hope it works the same with Apes' and Flacs

I tried switching back and forth between the decompressed wav and the original wavpack, and there seems to be a slight loss of quality with the wav files. is that possible?

I'll look into the EAC and Burrrn as other possible option, many thanks.

I use Abobe Audition 3.0 to burn/rip all my cds, I like the result better than all the other I've tried

thank you!

splitting files

Reply #4
I hope it works the same with Apes' and Flacs
yes

I tried switching back and forth between the decompressed wav and the original wavpack, and there seems to be a slight loss of quality with the wav files. is that possible?
yes and no...Wavpack supports both: lossy and lossless compression. Right click file\properties\encoding

I use Abobe Audition 3.0 to burn/rip all my cds, I like the result better than all the other I've tried
eac is my bet for secure cd ripping and imgburn or burrrn for burning. Foobar also has an option for ripping cd's and burning audio cd's...

splitting files

Reply #5

No.

splitting files

Reply #6

No.

You can use foo_bitcompare and it will almost certainly tell you the decoded audio is exactly the same.
elevatorladylevitateme

splitting files

Reply #7
why?

splitting files

Reply #8

Try conducting a blind test between different programs. I bet that warm and fuzzy feeling mysteriously vanishes.