Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Command line ripper for Windows (Read 3584 times) previous topic - next topic

Command line ripper for Windows

Hi,

Question first, background later ... is there a decent command-line CDDA-to-WAV or CDDA-to-FLAC ripper available for Windows?

I am an audio dilettante, and have been ripping audio CDs for years on Windows systems.  I never wanted to spend money on software, and so I went with whatever I could do for free at the time.  Since I do believe in doing the best job with the tools available, my procedure has evolved over the time that I have been doing this.

My current procedure is ... rip using foobar2000, testing rip with AccurateRip.  If the rip is accurate, convert to FLAC for archival storage and home system playback.  If the rip is not accurate, rip using EAC (slower), again converting to FLAC.  For car audio, which does not read FLAC, convert to MP3 VBR using LAME.  I have done some ABX testing to confirm that this procedure provides sufficient quality for my dilettante ears.

I had some surgery last week, which has left me at home for recovery, and has also left me a little bit bored.  I wrote a script that searches my MP3 directories and tests each album folder to determine the bit rate of the mp3 files in the folder.  The evolution of my rip procedure can be seen in the results ... a small percentage of the albums converted to fixed 128/160/192 bit MP3s without FLAC versions, a significant percentage ripped to a fixed 320 bit MP3s without FLAC versions, and another significant percentage ripped to FLAC and converted to VBR MP3 as well.

So, I decided to go back and update the old rips to my current procedure.  Since I believe in automation, and can write a script, I'd like to minimize the requirement for human intervention in the process.  Currently, I can do every step of the conversion using scripts, except the rip.

My requirements/goals -- to be able to rip to WAV using a command line interface, and, if possible, to check the rip using AccurateRip.  I have done some looking, but have not been able to find a tool to do this.  Some are listed on web search results, but they seem to have disappeared or been ported to Linux (not an option at this time).

Any love, anyone?

Thanks for your assistance.

¦{Þ

Reply #1
Since you have to have human intervention is there any reason you need a command line based script? I've used EAC and all that required was for me to put the disc in and click rip.

I use dbPoweramp now and that's even better, going as far as fetching album art for me, checking against AR and doing a secure rip if required. It can convert to FLAC and MP3 at the same time too  All I do is put the disc in.

Reply #3
Since you have to have human intervention is there any reason you need a command line based script? I've used EAC and all that required was for me to put the disc in and click rip.

I use dbPoweramp now and that's even better, going as far as fetching album art for me, checking against AR and doing a secure rip if required. It can convert to FLAC and MP3 at the same time too  All I do is put the disc in.

I do recognize I cannot completely eliminate the human intervention ... I mean, not until I get a disk inserting robot.  EAC is just a little slow.  So, to me, there are two potential requirements for human intervention beyond inserting the disk.  The first is to check if the rip was accurate, and, if not, restart it in secure mode.  The second is to convert to MP3 VBR using LAME.  So, I was looking to add a test and glue capability that GUIs usually don't do well, and that a script might permit.  Remember, I'm bored.    However, I can listen to advice, so I will look into dbPoweramp.  Thanks for answering.

¦{Þ