Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 3rd layer of error correction for cd's (Read 1797 times) previous topic - next topic

3rd layer of error correction for cd's

As I understand, data cd's are much less susceptable too scratches and positioning problems(offsets) because they contain a third layer off error correction data and extra data that gives the posistion of the data on the cd. Thus if an absolute bit perfect copy of a cd could be imaged then a program could construct a file with additional error correction and positioning data, relating to that specific cd. This file could then be distributed to other people with that specific cd and use a program to correct any inaccuracys of the cd, or definitively determine if the rip is still uncorrectable. Unfortunately this solution would probably have legal problems. On the plus side almost any combination of hardware and software could produce a bit perfect rip, if a file with error corection and positioning data can be obtained.
"I have learned a lesson from the lessons I have learned"

3rd layer of error correction for cd's

Reply #1
Creating a file with error correction is possible, but a file with the sector adresses is not possible, because the infos must be written on the audio CD for the head to be positioned properly. Otherwise all that can be done is registering some infos, like in the databases of EAC and AccurateRip, so that the offset is corrected.

This can be useful if the CD must remain playable in an audio player. If not, just saving as wav files on a CD ROM provides the same result.