Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do the exist? Networkyaudiothingymaboob (Read 3420 times) previous topic - next topic

Do the exist? Networkyaudiothingymaboob

I've currently got audio cables coming out of the back of my quad core PC. Its got 7.1 on board audio, but I've used the various outputs to provide sound to different rooms around the house instead.

The PC (on pretty much 24-7) provides video to a media Hauppauge MediaMVP under the living room TV, and foobar2k with use of the http_control component does the audio around the house. All works (nearly**) perfectly.

But I'm looking to save some polar bears though, and get the quad core switched off and set up a low powered mini-itx/atom system in the living room.

But rather than rewire all the speaker cables to run from the new place in the living room, I'm wondering if something exists that can connect by network (ethernet or wifi) to the 3.5mm jack cables where they are now. With foobar running on the new atom system?

I'm thinking a kind of external soundcard with a lan socket?

I've tried searching about, using various terms but haven't come across anything.

I'm not bothered at all about the sound quality, I just want something cheap that gets the music from the box to the cable ends using the network cable thats already there.

**Incase any foobar users read this, to save starting a new thread, I'm currently using the realtek (onboard sound) control software to control where the audio outputs to. Is it possible to do this from within foobar? Again I've tried searching, but without figuring out the correct search terms its hard.

Thanks in advance.

Edit.. Oops, I really didnt mean to right boob in the title! Apologies to any incredibly sensitive children passing by.

Reply #1
I have seen devices for sending audio and video over LAN cables, but don't have the link at the moment. 

Reply #2
I've found the Creative Wireless thing, and the Apple airport express. Both kind of what I'm after, but both only have one output so I'd need a few which would end up costing more than I'd want.

And I'd prefer it to work over the Lan, I prefer to rely on cables than wifi for audio.

No ideas folks?

Reply #3
I've found the Creative Wireless thing, and the Apple airport express. Both kind of what I'm after, but both only have one output so I'd need a few which would end up costing more than I'd want.

And I'd prefer it to work over the Lan, I prefer to rely on cables than wifi for audio.

No ideas folks?

I assume you've looked at the squeezebox family of products. Not quite sure if this is what you're after but it is certainly a very good solution to bitperfect distribution of audio across either a wired or wireless network. See:
http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/overview.html
Also, very active forum community:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php
I have the Transporter, two Booms, 1 SB3, 1 DUET, and I'll get one or two "touch" players when they come out early next year. Highly recommended.

Reply #4
Yeah, know about them. A bit overkill though as I've already got a working DIY system in place. I just wanted to see if there was a way of getting round it without having to re-run the wires I've already got in.

Reply #5
Either this (Analogue) or this (Digital)?
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"