Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Brian Eno's "On Land" CD has a freqency cutoff (Read 4158 times) previous topic - next topic

Brian Eno's "On Land" CD has a freqency cutoff

Ok, I just bought (supposedly) the original master CD of Brian Eno's "On Land" off of amazon, and I am seeing a cutoff at about 20khz on the spectogram

Can anyone else who thinks their CD is original confirm this cutoff?

Reply #1
I can.

Reply #2
me too

Reply #3
In case you're interested...I have the remastered version of On Land and it does *not* appear to have the 20khz cutoff.

(i.e. the blue stuff goes all the way to the top of the graph.)

Reply #4
I wonder why you wonder. Many CDs have  this cutoff. It may be a result of resampling to 44.1kHz for the CD master. Many resamplers set a steep lowpass filter starting at ~20kHz.
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #5
Yeah, and that sort of constant lowpass is fairly uncommon for lossy codecs anyway.

Reply #6
I once poked around my CD collection and noticed that all CD's released before mid-90's had 20kHz cutoff.
Teemu

Reply #7
I wonder why you wonder. Many CDs have  this cutoff.

Ok, I didn't know that..
In case you're interested...I have the remastered version of On Land and it does *not* appear to have the 20khz cutoff.

Would that mean whoever did the remastering decided to add extra noise to the audio?

Reply #8

Would that mean whoever did the remastering decided to add extra noise to the audio?

In a way...it's most likely very low-level noise that got pushed up to the top of the audio band as a result of noise shaping employed when the 24-bit master got dithered down to 16 bits for CD release.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."