Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wav Processing in EAC (Read 3716 times) previous topic - next topic

Wav Processing in EAC

I have recently started using EAC's Wav Processer to examine my ripped music. I have tried making bit perfect copies of my music, using the correct offset correction, using the setting to add gaps to the song prior to the gap, and I use my drive's feature to overread into read-in and read-out. Looking at my files though, on the highest zoom level there is, and I see that there is very low level frequencies at the begining and ends of some of my songs, though, this comes as a surprise. I thought that adding the gap to the end of my songs would create an end that was absolutely silent, though, this leads me to believe that my gaps has sound in them. Would this be possible, or is my drive reading into the begining of the next song, hence creating frequencies at the end? Also, when I look at the song stopped at the very begining, the Display Endpos displays 0:00:00:0007, while my
Display startpos reads 0:00:00:0000. Is there an issue with that? And if so, how do I correct it? Lastly, if there is somesort of guide on this sound processing, my I have the link please, I've searched throughout the wiki, Q&A, and other sites for good information about this tool, only to find little information. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

If I may add on question as well, do songs ever begin and or end with dead silence?

Wav Processing in EAC

Reply #1
I see that there is very low level frequencies at the begining and ends of some of my songs, though, this comes as a surprise. I thought that adding the gap to the end of my songs would create an end that was absolutely silent, though, this leads me to believe that my gaps has sound in them. Would this be possible, or is my drive reading into the begining of the next song, hence creating frequencies at the end?

That is perfectly normal. You're not getting anything other than what was intended to be at the end of the track. The "gap" area begins at where ever your drive happens to detect it with the particular gap detection settings being used. The end of the gap is precisely where the TOC (table of contents) says the next track begins (INDEX 01).

side note: Notice that INDEX 00 (start of "gap") is the point where a CD player begins counting down, and INDEX 01 is where the next track starts and where the CD player jumps to when you push the "Next" button.

Also, when I look at the song stopped at the very begining, the Display Endpos displays 0:00:00:0007, while my Display startpos reads 0:00:00:0000. Is there an issue with that? And if so, how do I correct it?

I'm not sure what the concern is. You're zoomed in, and the area being displayed is from 0 to 7 ten-thousandths of a second (or in another measurement, the first 32 samples).

If I may add on question as well, do songs ever begin and or end with dead silence?

It's typical, with a properly mastered disc, for the start of the first track and end of the last track to be null / digital silence. The rest just depends on how they decided to master it.

Wav Processing in EAC

Reply #2
I have a question about this, because i don't understand what those 32 samples mean, or the 7 thousands of a second means. Does it have something to do with offset? I have my drive corrected with the +30 that everyone, including accurate rip agrees with. So, although this isn't a major issue, it is still something I would like to know about and how to correct it if there is something that I can change to make things even better than they already are. By the way, thanks you greatly for your responses.

Wav Processing in EAC

Reply #3
Graphical representations are misleading.  You should not be using them to judge what are probably not existent differences in audio data.

With all these questions about a process that is actually pretty straight forward and previously covered to death on this forum, you've not provided a single rip log or cue sheet of the original disc and the copy for us to help you verify your process.  It is by far the most comprehensive and straight forward way to accomplish this goal.

Wav Processing in EAC

Reply #4
Graphical representations are misleading.  You should not be using them to judge what are probably not existent differences in audio data.

With all these questions about a process that is actually pretty straight forward and previously covered to death on this forum, you've not provided a single rip log or cue sheet of the original disc and the copy for us to help you verify your process.  It is by far the most comprehensive and straight forward way to accomplish this goal.

Sir, I'm sorry for posting a redundant question. I have honestly went through about eighty pages of the forum and wiki trying to find answers, none of which have helped. If you could address a specific item that would help you, simply ask and I will provide. After all, I'm coming to the forum for help, I'll graciously grant your wishes if asked kindly. So simply let me know if you want a cue sheet or something else, just specify it, and I'll respond as quickly as possible.

Wav Processing in EAC

Reply #5
I have a question about this, because i don't understand what those 32 samples mean, or the 7 thousands of a second means. Does it have something to do with offset?

This number only relates to the level of zoom being used. There is no other significance. When zoomed in so far, roughly 0.0007 seconds is all that can fit in the window. No matter where you move the display slider, (at max zoom) endpos - startpos = 0.0007. Though note that rounding is involved, and that the display may not equal 0.0007 secs exactly. 32 samples is just another unit of measurement for the amount of audio data being displayed (again, which could be approximate). CD audio has a sampling rate of 44,100 samples/second. 32/44100 = 0.0007

Wav Processing in EAC

Reply #6
I have a question about this, because i don't understand what those 32 samples mean, or the 7 thousands of a second means. Does it have something to do with offset?

This number only relates to the level of zoom being used. There is no other significance. When zoomed in so far, roughly 0.0007 seconds is all that can fit in the window. No matter where you move the display slider, (at max zoom) endpos - startpos = 0.0007. Though note that rounding is involved, and that the display may not equal 0.0007 secs exactly. 32 samples is just another unit of measurement for the amount of audio data being displayed (again, which could be approximate). CD audio has a sampling rate of 44,100 samples/second. 32/44100 = 0.0007

That makes perfect sense, I can't believe I didn't make that connection through working in the WAV Processor as much as I have lately. Thank you for taking the time to answer my rather incompetent question.