Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wanting to convert my 320kbps music to V2 (Read 4171 times) previous topic - next topic

Wanting to convert my 320kbps music to V2

Hi everyone, I didn't noticed an introduction forum so just want to say great informative site you have here.

Heres my situation, I had a friend rip all my music and he chose to rip it all at 320 CBR. So now I have over 100gb of music that really all should be on my 64GB iPod Touch but I can't fit it on. I did a quick test with dBpoweramp Music Converter and converted some songs from 320kbps to 192CBR, -V 2 and -V 0. In dBpoweramp Music Converter I left the Encoding speed at normal, left the frequency option to 'as source' and left Channels option to 'Auto'. I can't hear the difference between all 4 using iTunes and Sennheiser HD 555 Headphones.

I want to convert all my music, I assume there will be loss in quality? but from what I tested with dBpoweramp I couldn't hear a big enough difference to justify keeping my music library at 320kbps.

Any recommendations on a program that will convert a big bulk of my music that I select and for it to just overwrite all the MP3s in each folder keeping the album art, tags etc intact? rather than it converting all my music and placing all the MP3s in a new folder in which I'd have to sort out in there own folders again. My music albums are currently filed like this for example. Artist - Album (2009). So in each folder I just want it to replace the 320kbps MP3s with the V2 ones.

Thanks for your time.

Bren

Reply #1
Hi,

dBpoweramp Music Converter will do that job fine. Just check box Output location "Original folder" and add "Delete source file" to DSP Effects/Actions options.
I'd suggest that you should try conversion first with couple of folders and check that everything goes right (keep 'Delete Source File' settings 'Send to recycle bin', so you can restore files if something goes wrong)

-Zaaplis

Reply #2
There will be a loss in quality but you'd have to check to see whether you notice it or not

Reply #3
Thanks, dBpoweramp worked fine on couple albums I tried, didn't realise it would be a decent program to use. Before I continue, should I keep Frequency to 'as source' which is 44.1KHz. I kept Channels setting as 'Auto' and on the converted music it chose Joint Sterio/MS Stereo, is that ok its done that?

Am I supposed to be hearing a difference between 192 CBR, -V2, -V0 and 320kbps CBR?  Sometimes I think the bass might sound slightly thumpier on the 320 versions but then I'm still not convince it is. I guess the difference is there but its just so minimal? I did have some flac files once and converted them to 320kbps and noticed a slight loss in quality but I'm not noticing a loss in quality going from 320 to 192.

Reply #4
Thanks, dBpoweramp worked fine on couple albums I tried, didn't realise it would be a decent program to use. Before I continue, should I keep Frequency to 'as source' which is 44.1KHz. I kept Channels setting as 'Auto' and on the converted music it chose Joint Sterio/MS Stereo, is that ok its done that?

Am I supposed to be hearing a difference between 192 CBR, -V2, -V0 and 320kbps CBR?  Sometimes I think the bass might sound slightly thumpier on the 320 versions but then I'm still not convince it is. I guess the difference is there but its just so minimal? I did have some flac files once and converted them to 320kbps and noticed a slight loss in quality but I'm not noticing a loss in quality going from 320 to 192.

Use fb2k's ABX tester and find out for yourself, it's the only way to know for sure. Using sighted tests for this is useless as you know what you're listening to.

Reply #5
Am I supposed to be hearing a difference between 192 CBR, -V2, -V0 and 320kbps CBR?

It all depends on your music, equipment, listening environment, and ears.  Everyone is different when it comes to lossy (ie mp3) music encoding.  That is why there are always different settings for the various encoders out there.  Otherwise there would be one setting for everyone.  In my opinion, the Lame mp3 encoder performs very well at the -V 2 setting when compared to the source lossless (ie CD) tracks.  That being said, I have never taken a 320kbps mp3 and encoded it down to -V 2 (which is what you are doing) so I can't comment on that.  I always try to avoid lossy-to-lossy transcoding whenever possible but that is just me.  Other people can transcode their higher bitrate files to lower bitrates and not hear the differences.  Just keep in mind that going from a 320kbps down to -V 2 is technically not the same thing as ripping the CD to -V 2.  Whether or not you will hear the difference is up to you.

Reply #7
Transcoding your MP3 files will be a lossy process, yes. Personally, I would recommend you try a program such as MP3packer before you go about reencoding your entire collection.