Skip to main content

Topic: Real-time noise reduction software? (Read 13726 times) previous topic - next topic

• soulburner
  • [*]
Real-time noise reduction software?
I was wondering, is there some software that automatically removes noise in real-time? Say, I connect my CB Radio to line-in, start an application and get rid of the background white noise  Or maybe the big audio editor suites can do that in real-time too, like Adobe Audition (I really liked its Adaptive Noise Reduction effect)?

Thanks in advance

• Iain
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1
I was wondering, is there some software that automatically removes noise in real-time? Say, I connect my CB Radio to line-in, start an application and get rid of the background white noise  Or maybe the big audio editor suites can do that in real-time too, like Adobe Audition (I really liked its Adaptive Noise Reduction effect)?

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure you'd be able to get good noise reduction in real-time without latency issues. Noise reduction software typically looks at big chunks of samples, say 4096 (or more), at a time, so there is 4096 samples of latency (around 1/10th of a second with a 44.1kHz sampling rate.)

• soulburner
  • [*]
Reply #2
Such latency would be negligible with my use in mind...

• Iain
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
Such latency would be negligible with my use in mind...

I have just discoverd this Noise Reduction plug-in. It looks like it is exactly what you are looking for.

You could use it with any VST hosting application. or you could use in a simple VST host like VSTHost.

• Xenion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=...amp;itemid=1041
runs also as AU plugin (TDM requires Pro Tools) but is rather expensive

• Notat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
I think Cedar Audio is still the technical leader in this field. I played with DNS3000 real-time noise suppressor at the AES show this fall. Magic audio shit (in a good way).

Reply #6
I think Cedar Audio is still the technical leader in this field. I played with DNS3000 real-time noise suppressor at the AES show this fall. Magic audio shit (in a good way).

We had a demo of Cedar Audio at work this last spring and it was truly impressive. But with a $30,000+ price tag, impressive should be in the description.