Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS#8/idiocy] FLAC sounds less full (Read 3806 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS#8/idiocy] FLAC sounds less full

I've used FLAC for at least 8 years now. Lately, I've been downloading mp3's off of emusic and I really like how they sound. In fact, I think they sound better than my flac files. When comparing them to my flac files, the flac files have more treble(a little to much) and lack fullness and warmth. Why is this?
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Reply #1
I've used FLAC for at least 8 years now. Lately, I've been downloading mp3's off of emusic and I really like how they sound. In fact, I think they sound better than my flac files. When comparing them to my flac files, the flac files have more treble(a little to much) and lack fullness and warmth. Why is this?

couple of possibilities, for starters:

1) they don't.  You're imagining it.  Compare them  blind and see if your perception actually reflect reality.

2) the mp3s are different remasters than the flacs, so it's due to different EQ and levels.

Btw, moderators: HA entry test...when?

Reply #3
Make MP3 from your FLACs and compare them. Maybe you compare different releases.

Reply #4
Re-rip the CDs you made the FLAC files from and ABX the WAV against the FLAC - see if you can really hear any difference.

Reply #5
Which music player do you use?