Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which version of the neroAACEnc whould be recommended for q0.4? (Read 7472 times) previous topic - next topic

Which version of the neroAACEnc whould be recommended for q0.4?

I currently use "Nero AAC codec / Aug  6 2007". Today I tried the current public version "Nero AAC codec / 1.3.3.0". But that one produces different bitrates, higher then with the old codec. For my current set of music to encode (1d 0:30:56.598 (3892115970 samples)) I have to set q0.3925 to get around the same size of the old codec. Thats a bit annoying. Is it recommended to use the newer codec or maybe an older one?

Reply #1
The Feb 2007 version seems to be a better choice. I would avoid using the Aug 07 version, which has some issues with silent parts on certain tracks.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #2
Although guruboolez conducted a great listening test, it was for classical music (with some electronic samples) and it did not include Nero AAC 1.3.3.0.  His tests used versions 1.0.7.0 and 1.1.3.4.

Edit: I believe that the current build, 1.3.3.0 came out after he conducted his tests.

Reply #3
I confirm kornchild2002's words. I never carefully checked 1.3.3.0 (which appeared after my big test) but after a quick listening comparison I immediately noticed that it solved the most irritating issues that bothered me with 1.1.3.4. And if I'm not wrong, 1.0.7.0. had compatibility issues with some devices. I'd rather go with the latest Nero version (1.3.3.0) without hesitation.
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #4
Yes, 1.0.7.0 has some issues with the Creative Zen and Xbox 360.  You could use a tool to make the files compatible with one system but that would stop compatibility with another.  1.3.3.0 fixed those issues and has worked on every AAC device that I have tested.  That includes a 5G iPod, 120GB iPod classic, 160GB iPod classic, 1G iPod touch, 2G iPod touch, 8GB Creative Zen, Sony PSP, Kenwood car CD deck (I forget the model number), Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DSi, Sony PS3, Microsoft Xbox 360, 30GB Halo 3 Zune, an HP iPAQ running 3rd party software, and a Motorolla ROKR (or something like that) with the built-in software.  I also tested playback in various applications such as the latest version of WinAmp, Windows Media Player 12 (through Windows 7), the latest version of iTunes/QuickTime, foobar2000, etc.  I haven't run into any compatibility issues (hardware or software wise) with the latest version of the Nero AAC encoder.

Nice to see that 1.3.3.0 fixed some issues that you had with 1.1.3.4.  Your extensive listening test has helped many people out when picking the proper version of Nero for their music.

Personally, I use 1.3.3.0 at -q0.50.  However, through my listening tests (which mainly consisted of songs in the metal genre), I had a very hard time distinguishing -q0.45 from the source lossless material.  There were a few tracks (mainly industrial and industrial metal ones) here and there that stood out but the rest were transparent for me.  That is why I went with -q0.50 as I know that I would really have to pay attention to the music in order to ABX it and, to me, that defeats the purpose of relaxing while listening to music.  That is even if I could ABX -q0.50 and the source material.

So it sounds like you are safe to go with 1.3.3.0

Reply #5
Oh, sounds like I have to recode all I did with "Nero AAC codec / Aug 6 2007"

Reply #6
If your music collection is very big, then better wait a bit more for the next version.

Reply #7
how long is a "bit"? i was just about to mass convert my library to nero aac.

Reply #8
Sorry because I cannot be more precise. I hope this month, but it might take even 2 more months.

Reply #9
thanks for your reply. i'll be patiently waiting

Reply #10
Oh, sounds like I have to recode all I did with "Nero AAC codec / Aug 6 2007"

Not unless you are hearing tons of artifacts in your collection.  If the August 2007 build is able to provide transparent results at -q0.40 for you then that means it is working for you.  Now, it might be worthwhile going back and re-encoding your files whenever a new version of Nero comes out just for library symmetry (ie all your lossy files use the same encoder).  The new Nero AAC encoder might be able to provide transparency while using lower bitrates as well.  So yeah, you may want to wait and see what happens with Nero.

Reply #11
Personally, I find that the current version (1.3.3.0) works "just fine" for me at q0.35.

Reply #12
Personally, I find that the current version (1.3.3.0) works "just fine" for me at q0.35.

and for me as well. i did a few tests of my own and even with q0.30 i only notice the slightest difference on rare occasion if i concentrate. but still, i want to see what the next version brings.

Reply #13
Could you please add the quality information to the codec tag in the next version of neroaacenc? That would be very helpful. Thank you.

Reply #14
Isn't it already there? Foobar2000 shows field <CDEC> : ndaudio 1.3.3.0 / -q 0.50 (for example).

Reply #15
Oh, very great. Haven't seen it yet. Thank you for your hint.

Can you tell me how to get that information into "Selection Properties"? In the Playlist View the line would be too long.

Reply #16
Sorry, I should mention that I mean that for foobar2000

Reply #17
If the line is too long you could manipulate it it with foobar2000's Title Formatting, for example for leaving out ndaudio.

I'm not sure what you mean with "Selection Properties". Foobar2000 already displays the tool (Nero AAC codec) in General Properties, even when a number of tracks selected.

Reply #18
I have a Tab "Selection Properties" (UI Element) in my foobar2000 GUI which displays "Metadata" and "General". In "General" the tool is also displaying the Codec "Tool". Now I want to add the <CDEC> line into it.

I will also look for the Title Formatting posibility.

Reply #19

and for me as well. i did a few tests of my own and even with q0.30 i only notice the slightest difference on rare occasion if i concentrate. but still, i want to see what the next version brings.

<sidebar>With my ears and iPod, I probably could go down to q0.30, but I like to err on the side of caution... so I go with an assumption that ~100 AAC is approx. equiv. to 128 MP3, and 128 MP3 is "close enough" to transparency for my purposes.</sidebar>

Reply #20
Is there a newletter which informs about new neroAACEnc versions?

Reply #21
I think it will be announced in the Nero Newsletter.
Since recently, one can give an email address when downloading Nero AAC Encoder and thus subscribe to the Nero Newsletter.

Reply #22
Sorry because I cannot be more precise. I hope this month, but it might take even 2 more months.

At this point I can say that the encoder will not be finished until the end of this month. Hopefully, it'll be ready until the end of November.

Reply #23
Take your time with the encoder.  I would rather wait a few months and get a polished encoder over getting one that was rushed out to meet a specific deadline.  Some people are anxious as the new iTunes/QuickTime encoder was released and they want to start comparing but I think we can all wait a bit longer.