Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Converting .wav (CCITT A-Law format) to .mp3 using LAME (Read 7438 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting .wav (CCITT A-Law format) to .mp3 using LAME

I would like to convert wav files to mp3 using the lame encoder (lame.exe). The wav files are recorded along the following specifications:

Bit Rate: 64kbps
Audio sample size: 8 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio sample rate: 8 kHz
Audio format: CCITT A-Law

If I try to convert such a wav file using lame.exe, I get the following error message:

Unsupported data format: 0x0006

Could anyone provide me with a command line string using lame.exe that will enable me to convert these kind of wav files to mp3?

Reply #1
If you try the version that's compiled with 'libsndfile', that should do the trick. The standard .exe doesn't know how to decode A-law files.

Reply #2
Thanks a lot john33. I downloaded "LAME 3.98.2 using libsndfile 1.0.18pre22a" from rarewares.org. That version converted the .wav-file to .mp3, and I didn't have to add any command line parameters.