Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gapless Playback question (encoder delay, padding) (Read 3354 times) previous topic - next topic

Gapless Playback question (encoder delay, padding)

I was going through my library and anything encoded in v2 using LAME always says encoder delay and zero padding.

I know this has to do with gapless playback

but a lot of my lame 192 cbr music does not list this info.  Does that mean it can not play gapless? 

Most of my music usually has silence at the end of tracks, (ROCK) does the encoder delay make the next song play sooner?

Reply #1
encoder delay:  When the beginning is not really at the start, but some samples later (one block,576 samples usually in mp3).
encoder padding*: The amount of audio at the end of the file which is not part of the original file.

So if one cuts encoder delay from the beginning, and encoder padding from the end, the file should have the same amount of samples than the original.

And yes, whatever file that does not have this information cannot be easily decoded gaplessly.

You can add the information to your existing files with Foobar2000, but the process is manual, and is only exact if the originals come from a CD (because a CD is divided in blocks, so the amount of samples need to be a multiple of the samples of a CD block).

* Not to confuse with mp3 padding, which is just about adding unused (usually zeroed) portions of data between frames of the mp3 file.

Reply #2

encoder delay:  When the beginning is not really at the start, but some samples later (one block,576 samples usually in mp3).
encoder padding*: The amount of audio at the end of the file which is not part of the original file.

So if one cuts encoder delay from the beginning, and encoder padding from the end, the file should have the same amount of samples than the original.

And yes, whatever file that does not have this information cannot be easily decoded gaplessly.

You can add the information to your existing files with Foobar2000, but the process is manual, and is only exact if the originals come from a CD (because a CD is divided in blocks, so the amount of samples need to be a multiple of the samples of a CD block).

* Not to confuse with mp3 padding, which is just about adding unused (usually zeroed) portions of data between frames of the mp3 file.

why would you want the beginning to not be at the start?

Reply #3
It is not a decision. It is a consequence of the algorithm. The first decoded block does not contain audio data.