Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does MediaMonkey support gapless playback? (Read 16647 times) previous topic - next topic

Does MediaMonkey support gapless playback?

Does MediaMonkey support gapless playback of LAME mp3 files?

Reply #2
Based on what I can read from terry's search query, no it does not. Not in the proper, length-based way like foobar2000 does anyhow. It uses some "gapless" hacks that do not use LAME tag information. It also appears as though using in_mad and some variants can make gapless playback work properly, but the cost is that the seekbar no longer works.

This software really sounds like total shit to me. More broken Winamp-architectured garbage.

Reply #3
Does foobar2000 automatically do gapless playback with LAME mp3?

Reply #4
Does foobar2000 automatically do gapless playback with LAME mp3?
Yes.

Edit: Correction, it appears that you can get gapless playback using in_mad and its variants, but that will result in the seekbar no longer working.

Gapless playback or seekbar, you make the choice. Apparently the MediaMonkey authors love giving their users choices.

Reply #5
Does it only do it on songs that don't have gaps in between them on the cd?

Reply #6
I don't know that about MediaMonkey.

foobar2000's approach guarantees that the length of an MP3 will be the length of the track on CD, down to the last sample. It's the only audio player I'm certain has that feature.

Reply #7
I don't know that about MediaMonkey.

foobar2000's approach guarantees that the length of an MP3 will be the length of the track on CD, down to the last sample. It's the only audio player I'm certain has that feature.

I was talking about foobar2000 

I am trying it out right now on prince's latest album LotusFlow3r where some of the tracks don't have gaps in between them.

Reply #8
Works great I think I use foobar2000 now.

Reply #9
Is there a component or setting that will act sort of like the Player in MediaMonkey ( the thing at the bottom that tells you what song is playing the album and the artist)?

Sorry for going off topic.

Reply #10
Is there a component or setting that will act sort of like the Player in MediaMonkey ( the thing at the bottom that tells you what song is playing the album and the artist)?

Sorry for going off topic.

Nevermind I just used the text display component to achieve this.

Reply #11
This software really sounds like total shit to me. More broken Winamp-architectured garbage.

I think that is overly harsh. One feature works but is not implemented as well as FB and you call the whole package shit? In fact, I think its one of the best audio players out there.

FB would be great if it had a better out of the box gui (its improving), and last I looked I don't think it can do iphone/itouch (may be wrong)

Reply #12
What do you mean that it don't "do it"? musicmusic has developed a great foo_dop component that provides great features for iPod users.

I'm not impressed by MM either - Maybe a little if it was completely free software, but simple things seem to be locked away until you pay for it.

FB would be great if it had a better out of the box gui

What do you need? Add it!

I don't understand why you would like a player that had a zillion things out of the box when you wouldn't use most of it anyway! You would have a bloated player that takes ages to load for no reason. foobar2000 gives the user the option to install just the things you need, and nothing more! It's not a limitation, it's a FEATURE!
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #13
What do you mean that it don't "do it"? musicmusic has developed a great foo_dop component that provides great features for iPod users.

last time I checked (and its been awhile) the latest plugin for syning ipods was very out of date. I don't thing (and may be wrong) that there is any support for iphone/itouch - quick google search didn't turn up anything either.

FB would be great if it had a better out of the box gui

What do you need? Add it!

Exactly my point and the mindset of fb2k users and developers that keeps its audience very limited. I am not a developer and don't want to have to develop my own component or spend hours trying to figure out how to add a window or do this or that. I want it to just work and MM does that very well thank you.

Reply #14
I wasn't able to get gapless playback from MM using ASIO and FLAC. Yes, FLAC.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #15

last time I checked (and its been awhile) the latest plugin for syning ipods was very out of date. I don't thing (and may be wrong) that there is any support for iphone/itouch - quick google search didn't turn up anything either.

Last time I checked musicmusic were too busy to update his other components because he was working on foo_dop.

I want it to just work and MM does that very well thank you.

Fine. Enjoy your gappy-player

Reply #16

I think that is overly harsh. One feature works but is not implemented as well as FB and you call the whole package shit? In fact, I think its one of the best audio players out there.
Overly harsh, sure. I'm a computer science major, heading off to IBM to work for a year. I react strongly negatively to software developed with a focus that results in oversights like this. If they are missing such an obvious functionality such as gapless playback (an issue which has had public awareness since before foobar2000 even existed, and was one of the first features of fb2k), how can I possibly depend on that software for other important subtleties, such as a proper implementation of the insane ID3v2 spec?

This is akin to opening up the hood of a car and seeing bolts loose on the engine. It's the kind of thing that makes you wonder just how competent the people working on this product were.

However, this may just be due to the issues inherent in the Winamp plugin architecture, which has its own issues. Nevertheless, oversights are oversights.

last I looked I don't think it can do iphone/itouch
You're wrong. musicmusic added support impressively rapidly. Kudos to him!

Reply #17
Winamp 5.2
* New: [in_mp3] gapless MP3 playback

Winamp 5.22
* Improved: [in_wm] gapless WMA support

Winamp 5.3
* Improved: [in_mp3/in_mp4] itunes-compatible gapless playback
* Improved: [in_mp4] FAAC-compatible (mostly) gapless playback

As we can see, Winamp architecture allows gapless playback.

Reply #18
Hi,

You can adjust the output plugin options to enable/disable crossfading and gapless.

Reply #19

Sure - It took several generations! In the meantime I found foobar2000 and were happy that my mp3's were now gapless!
You can adjust the output plugin options to enable/disable crossfading and gapless.

That's a hack, not a proper implementation as already explained above! You should not need to enable something that should be standard. Do you expect a CD-player to put 2 sec gaps between tracks on a live-CD yet to find out that you need to adjust a switch on the back of the player enabling it to play without gaps?

Reply #20
Yep, and part of the infrastructure that allows it properly was laid by Peter himself. The issue with MediaMonkey seems to stem from its old implementation of the Winamp architecture.

I don't mean to call Winamp out. It's a good piece of software, all told. The developers have obviously been watching foobar2000 carefully. Winamp picked up many foobar2000 features quite rapidly after they emerged in foobar2000. ReplayGain, gapless, global titleformatting use...

Reply #21
That's a hack, not a proper implementation as already explained above! You should not need to enable something that should be standard. Do you expect a CD-player to put 2 sec gaps between tracks on a live-CD yet to find out that you need to adjust a switch on the back of the player enabling it to play without gaps?

That is irrelevant to the OP original question.

Reply #22
That is irrelevant to the OP original question.
It is completely relevant, especially seeing as how the implementation breaks gapless in many circumstances and does not provide proper gapless playback in the same way that Winamp, foobar2000, iTunes, and other encoder-delay-based, accurate-length gapless players do.

Winamp had competitive gapless handling to MediaMonkey's current technique before foobar2000 existed, if my memory serves.

Reply #23
From one of the Dev's directly:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic...=219670#p219670

MediaMonkey _does_ support Lame Info tag and so it also has true gapless playback of such tracks. On other tracks, it tries to emulate gapless playback as close as possible using Remove Silence option.

Jiri

If you have reproducable methods and/or files to the contrary, I am sure they would appreciate the info posted to an appropriate thread on the MM forums.

Reply #24
Maybe their forum needs a little work, but these posts seem to suggest the contrary.

Mea culpa, if I'm wrong. The post you cite was made after this thread began, and I could see no explicit documentation anywhere short of the old Winamp "gapless" hacks when browsing their forum.

This did seem like a remarkable oversight...