Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I Lowpass with Nero AAC? (Read 3525 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I Lowpass with Nero AAC?

I found out how to configure EAC to encode to Nero aac. Actually I didn't figure it out yet but plan to.
But when I do I want to set the lowpass to about 18khz while encoding at 320kbps CBR (or maybe transcoding/audiophile VBR).
What are the commands to do so? Is there another way to encode to the Nero aac format using my own low pass setting?

Thanks!

Reply #1
Are there any programs or commands (in command line) that allow me control the lowpass of nero aac?

Reply #2
Sorry but theres no low-pass filter option on Nero's AAC encoder. IMO i think it's a pain for anyone having good hearing at high freqs.

Also the lastest version seems to have a lower lowpass at higher bitrates now.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #3
Use lossless?
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #4
IMO i think it's a pain for anyone having good hearing at high freqs.
Also the lastest version seems to have a lower lowpass at higher bitrates now.

There were changes in other psychoacoustic parameters and not in the fixed cutoff. These other psychoacoustic parameters introduce in some cases removal of high frequencies.
It is better in some cases to use those bits for lower frequencies, just like you point in your listening test here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=647994

Or take for example emese sample:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=55339
This sample will sound better when you resample to 32 kHz than when you encode original 44.1 kHz to 192 kbps (maybe even 320 kbps would sound worse than 32 kHz).

In most cases it is not frequencies above 16 kHz (and especially not above 18 kHz) that make the difference, at least not for most of us.