Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ID3v2.4 not showing tags in sony mp3 player, only 2.3 (Read 8019 times) previous topic - next topic

ID3v2.4 not showing tags in sony mp3 player, only 2.3

is there anything i can do to fix this?For some reason it's not showing in my mp3 player, i used mp3tag to figure this out, i tried erasing the tags but when i fill it in it's back to 2.4..anything i could do?

Reply #1
You're using mp3tag as your tagging program or something else?  Your post lacks necessary specificity.

Assuming you're using mp3tag:

Tools menu -> Options (Ctrl+O) -> Tags -> Mpeg

Configure something other than ID3v2.4

There is absolutely no reason for you to be forced into having/keeping ID3v2.4.

Reply #2
is there anything i can do to fix this?For some reason it's not showing in my mp3 player, i used mp3tag to figure this out, i tried erasing the tags but when i fill it in it's back to 2.4..anything i could do?

Posts here, here, and here suggest your Sony mp3 player does not support id3v2.4 tags.  Set mp3tag (a terrific choice by the way) to write id3v2.3 (both UTF and ISO** should work fine).  Many of us would love to see id3v2.4 support in devices, but in the 9 years that have passed since this informal standard was put forth, it is still not widely implemented.

Reply #3

Posts here, here, and here suggest your Sony mp3 player does not support id3v2.4 tags.  Set mp3tag (a terrific choice by the way) to write id3v2.3 (both UTF and ISO** should work fine).  Many of us would love to see id3v2.4 support in devices, but in the 9 years that have passed since this informal standard was put forth, it is still not widely implemented.

I downloaded the thing that converts tags, but still some of my tags aren't showing...

For some reason 3 album arts isn't showing up....

and years on some songs arent either....

wtf?Why is this happening, i convert, some stuff dont show, so i delete the tags and rewrite the fields that dont show, re-convert, and it doesn't work....

and how come the album art for these arent showing?

i use mp3tag to add all album arts, and for some reason these ones arent showing up..

I have a large collection, and im just about ready to give up on this and throw this crappy player out and wait for the new touch, ive spent hours trying to get this to work...

my last try is going to be trying to write the tags in mp3tag

oh yea, foobar writes 2.4 id tags...

and i only have this problem when encoding with lame, when i encoded with quicktime true AAC i NEVER had this problem, only with the outdated format...

Reply #4
oh yea, foobar writes 2.4 id tags...

and i only have this problem when encoding with lame, when i encoded with quicktime true AAC i NEVER had this problem, only with the outdated format...

foobar2000 will write v2.4 tags by default, you can easily stop it from doing so and use v2.3.  Additionally, the mpeg-4 AAC format (mainly the iTunes/QuickTime AAC encoders, Nero AAC, FAAC, and many others) don't use ID3 at ALL.  That is why you don't have issues with their tags.  However, you can't directly compare the two and then call Lame outdated simply because you don't know how to change different software settings to allow for v2.3 writing.  It is not Lame's fault that foobar2000 wrote v2.4 tags.  That is absolutely no reason to call it an outdated format.

Reply #5
foobar2000 will write v2.4 tags by default, you can easily stop it from doing so and use v2.3.  Additionally, the mpeg-4 AAC format (mainly the iTunes/QuickTime AAC encoders, Nero AAC, FAAC, and many others) don't use ID3 at ALL.  That is why you don't have issues with their tags.  However, you can't directly compare the two and then call Lame outdated simply because you don't know how to change different software settings to allow for v2.3 writing.  It is not Lame's fault that foobar2000 wrote v2.4 tags.  That is absolutely no reason to call it an outdated format.

How do you stop fb2k writing V2.4 tags as I've never figured that one out?

Reply #6
Click on File, Preferences, click on Advanced (it is at the bottom of the left pane), click on the + next to Tagging, the + next to mp3, put a check mark next to "ID3v2 writer compatibility mode...", then click OK.

Reply #7
foobar2000 is militant about it's strict use of ID3v2.4, hence the near hidden method to switch to ID3v2.3 mode.  In fact, I'd almost say that if it wasn't for foobar2000, ID3v2.4 might have disappeared entirely.  ID3v2.3 is still the de facto standard, like it or not.  Stick with it, and you'll minimize cross-compatibility issues.

Reply #8
Click on File, Preferences, click on Advanced (it is at the bottom of the left pane), click on the + next to Tagging, the + next to mp3, put a check mark next to "ID3v2 writer compatibility mode...", then click OK.

Cheers very much  My Alpine HU can't cope with V2.4 either.

Reply #9
foobar2000 is militant about it's strict use of ID3v2.4, hence the near hidden method to switch to ID3v2.3 mode.  In fact, I'd almost say that if it wasn't for foobar2000, ID3v2.4 might have disappeared entirely.  ID3v2.3 is still the de facto standard, like it or not.  Stick with it, and you'll minimize cross-compatibility issues.
That's true, but ID3v2.4 has grown in popularity a lot recently. Support used to be almost non-existant 2-3 years ago and now almost everybody supports it. It's about time too.

Reply #10
Support used to be almost non-existant 2-3 years ago and now almost everybody supports it. It's about time too.

Well, I don't see very much support for it still... I'd love to, but the truth is (or I would say it seems to be) that still very few applications support it.  I just tried Windows 7 RC and it too doesn't seems to support it (Explorer and Media Player 12).

WinAmp, yes, it does support it. Can you name the other "almost everybody"?

Cheers.

Sergio
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)