Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar 2000 window graphics problem (?) (Read 2656 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar 2000 window graphics problem (?)

Hi everybody!

I've got this problem for some time now, but I thought I should ask someone about it.

When I've got World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King running in the background (in windowed mode, maximized) and have Foobar in front of wow on the screen, the foobar window starts to flicker like mad. I've no idea what causes this problem, and it's not like I can't use foobar when it flickers, it's just an irritating bug that I wanted to see if someone knew how to fix.

I'm running:

Graphics: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 2.10GHz

Reply #1
This is not a foobar problem.

There's a chance it might be a graphics driver bug. Have a look for a newer driver that might fix this problem.

However, it's more likely that your integrated graphics are too slow to update foobar in realtime while it renders WoW. Intel likes to pretend its onboard graphics are powerful, but they can't touch a dedicated graphics card. Integrated graphics are always a generation or two behind in performance.

TBH, I have a decent dedicated graphics card, and I still wouldn't run foobar on top of a game.

I suggest you bind keys to the main functions you care about. Preferences > General > Keyboard shortcuts. That way you can control foobar while it runs in the background.

If you want onscreen data about song/artist etc, try foo_osd. It can display a line of text with the info you want, and that is less likely be too taxing for your graphics card.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick answer!

Yeah, I know I haven't got any good graphics card, but I never could have guessed that it would be the cause. It probably like you say, because I asked my brother about it this morning (he's got a PC with a real graphics card in it) and he didn't have that problem.

I'll certainly try out that addon!

Thanks again for the quick answer! Even if I can't fix the problem at the moment it's nice to know the cause at least

Reply #3
I'm happy to help when I can. 

With foo_osd, be sure to click the Apply button before you click Close. I recall that the component would lose your changes if you didn't. I haven't tried to update the component or the settings in a long while, so I can't say whether that issue was fixed or not. I remember being confused about it when I first started using foo_osd.

Anyway, good luck.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.