Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some tags on batch FLAC -> MP3 convert (Read 2519 times) previous topic - next topic

Some tags on batch FLAC -> MP3 convert

I am doing batch conversions of FLAC -> MP3 via foobar2000/LAME 3.98.2.

All the FLAC files are tagged with Tag&Rename v3.5 via Amazon.com info.  All FLAC files have folder cover art file cover art specified, including cover art down to each individual file.    Most tags in use are form the "general" tab, but some are from the "additional" tab, such as the Record Label
(These are the tab/tag names when editing tags in Tag&Rename 3.5)

When foobar2000 does the batch covert, it's loosing any tags from the "Additional" tab.  So my tag for Record Label on the FLAC doesn't come over to the MP3.  Additionally, I'm loosing the cover art specified on each individual file as well as the covert art for the album.

Is there a way to get all these extra tags and the artwork to come over as part of the batch process?

Reply #1
Embedded art won't transfer.

Your "additional" tags should transfer, if you have mp3 tag types set to id3v2 or APEv2.
Obviously id3v1 can't take the "additional" tags.

Also, you should check for the existence of the tags using foobar2000's property dialog. It's possible that if "Tag&Rename" isn't compatible with id3v2.4 (the default) or the TXXX field, you might not be seeing the tags, even if they are there.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Embedded art won't transfer.

Your "additional" tags should transfer, if you have mp3 tag types set to id3v2 or APEv2.
Obviously id3v1 can't take the "additional" tags.

Also, you should check for the existence of the tags using foobar2000's property dialog. It's possible that if "Tag&Rename" isn't compatible with id3v2.4 (the default) or the TXXX field, you might not be seeing the tags, even if they are there.

Two tags that are actively used in Tag&Rename that don't transfer are, "Album Artist" and "Label"

When I open the FLAC file in foobar2000 and go to properties/meta data , "Album Aritst" is listed in the name column with a defined value.  Also in the name column is "<LABEL>", with the value defined.

When I open the matching converted MP3 in foobar2000, these fields are visible, but Tag&Rename won't show them on the MP3 file . Interesting.  So foobar2000 shows the tag came over, but something is happening so that Tag&Rename won't see it in the converted file. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Tag&Rename does have full support for id3v2.4 tags.  There a maintenance release (3.5.1) which lists better supports for id3v2.4, so maybe I'll give that a try.  Other wise,  Isn't much to set for Tag&Rename for ID3 tags.  It's set so that when you define fields in ID3v2 and APE tags, that it auto-updates the ID3v1 tags that correspond.  It's also set to write unicode data for ID3v2 Tags.

For the artwork, is there any way to process the artwork back in after the conversion, using foobar2000, or some other recommended program?

Reply #3
I use mp3tag. I even use a foo_run (same author) script to directly open the tracks in mp3Tag.
elevatorladylevitateme