Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Copy/Move entire source folder content in one go (Read 4719 times) previous topic - next topic

Copy/Move entire source folder content in one go

If the "Copy entire source folder content" option is used for the "Copy to" and "Move to" operations from "File Operations" context menu, it results in a quite cluttered writing on HDD. The resulting album reading is even more worse, because the music files and the corresponding folder.jpg and playlist.m3u may be written physically far far away from each other.

Imagine such a task for i.e. 100 or more albums:
[blockquote]Create Directory 1 for Album 1
     Copy music file 1 to n
Create Directory 2 for Album 2
     Copy music file 1 to n
Create Directory n for Album n
     Copy music file 1 to n
[/blockquote]    
and after copying all music files ...
[blockquote]Copy playlist.m3u and folder.jpg from Album 1 to Directory 1
Copy playlist.m3u and folder.jpg from Album 2 to Directory 2
Copy playlist.m3u and folder.jpg from Album n to Directory n
[/blockquote]

Is there a way for copying/moving the complete folder content with all subfolders in one go?

BTW, I'm using v0.9.6.8 and the following preset:
$cut(%album artist%,1)/%album artist%/['['%date%']' ]%album%/[$num(%discnumber%,1)]%tracknumber% - [%artist% - ]%title%

Reply #1
If the "Copy entire source folder content" option is used for the "Copy to" and "Move to" operations from "File Operations" context menu, it results in a quite cluttered writing on HDD. The resulting album reading is even more worse, because the music files and the corresponding folder.jpg and playlist.m3u may be written physically far far away from each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you're moving files on the same disk, the only thing that is being changed is their path in the Master File Table; the actual file doesn't actually change it's physical location on the disk.

Is there a way for copying/moving the complete folder content with all subfolders in one go?[/b][/size]
Technically speaking fb2k doesn't move folders, it moves files. and creates new folders based on metadata.

If you need to move an entire folder (and don't have playback stats to worry about), you should move the folder using a proper file manager (like explorer).
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Thanks for your interest!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you're moving files on the same disk, the only thing that is being changed is their path in the Master File Table; the actual file doesn't actually change it's physical location on the disk.

Yes, you're almost right in this special case.

Is there a way for copying/moving the complete folder content with all subfolders in one go?[/b][/size]
Technically speaking fb2k doesn't move folders, it moves files. and creates new folders based on metadata.

Therefor I was talking about folder content

Let me be more precise about my special task:

I want to COPY albums (each album = one folder content) from an internal HDD to an external HDD.
By doing that, I also want to add the album DATE metadata as part of the created folder name (see my template).

BUT, foobar's (not yet perfect) copying routine separates the playlist.m3u and folder.jpg of each album physically far from their corresponding music files.

Reply #3
what about "move/copy entire source folder content" option?

oh sorry... I overread that "physically" ^^
fb2k on OSX: flac q8 > rockboxed Sansa e280v1: Vorbis q5.0

Reply #4
Had requested something similar. To have a two-pane file explorer for content in Media Library so files/folders can be relocated easier without losing playback statistics. Will be happy when it's available.

Currently using string below in File Operations to relocate media.

$directory(%path%,2)/%directory%/%filename%

It works, but have to switch a little here and there for different scenarios.
Hope it helps you.

EDIT: Typo

Reply #5
Currently using string below in File Operations to relocate media.

$directory(%path%,2)/%directory%/%filename%

Thanks, but this template copies/moves the folder content the same way as mine:

- first all music files of the folder
- afterwards all other files

So each source folder has to be opened twice ...
and the target folder content is written physically fragmented.

Seems if it can't be solved with a template.