Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Library view where you can manipulate library? (Read 1625 times) previous topic - next topic

Library view where you can manipulate library?

Okay so I don't think this is possible, but I'll ask just in case.

I moved from iTunes, and I'm having a hard time adjusting in some aspects.  In iTunes you have a library view and then you can make playlists which are basically just subsections of your music.  In foobar, you have a library and then you have playlists.  The difference is, the views are based on playlists and you don't have a "library" view.  You can make a playlist which pulls in your entire library, but if I delete something it just deletes it from the playlist - it doesn't remove it from my library.  Much in the same way, when I add a folder that is outside my watched folder, it only adds those songs to the playlist but not to my library (and thus doesn't show up in searches).

What I would like (if it's possible) is to have a 'library' playlist which is my actual library.  It always has everything in my library, and when I add or delete songs from it, it adds and deletes from my library.

Does that make sense?

Reply #1
It "makes sense", but that's just not how fb2k works.

Part of the reason iTunes does this is because it copies files to your iTunes folder on drag and drop.
To do this in fb2k, you need to using the File Operation's Copy command. Also you can delete something from your watch folders (and your harddrive) by using fileop's Delete command. Or you can remove it from your Library by using File operation's Move command.

Once you get a few presets for these actions, it is as simple as two clicks to manage files this way.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
This isn't exactly the way that iTunes does it, but if you want a semi-familiar way to visualize the library, you can use the Facets component.  Grab the Facets component here

Now, by default, Facets will try to make several facets that can be used to filter your music collection.  Its implementation is similar to iTunes' (more similar to Winamp) and if that's suitable as is, you're set.  If you want a "playlist-like" view of your library, I'd recommend deleting all but one facet, and then adding multiple columns to that facet.

Now, it will look like a playlist, and it will contain your entire library, however, it is not a playlist.  If you choose to play songs, it will add them to a specified playlist before playing.  I hope that made sense.