Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Inline replacing of track-wise audia data in big wav file without spli (Read 4232 times) previous topic - next topic

Inline replacing of track-wise audia data in big wav file without spli

Hello my audiophile friends.

Today I need your help to speed up my audio-backup procedure.

When I rip my CDs, I rip them as 1 big wav + cue + log.

Often it happens that single tracks do not appear to be accurate (thanks to info from supplied by accuraterip).

So I save the big file anyway and rerip the inaccurate tracks until I succeed...can take hours (I often get badly scratched cds    )
then I save the single tracks in a special folder.

1. go back to the rip folder and split up the big wav with shntool
2. delete the inaccurate tracks from the newly created split set
3. paste the accurate single tracks into that folder (as a replacement)
4. join all tracks with shntool again.
5. ???
6. Profit (all tracks accurate now)

so the problem is that this takes very long....especially when I am doing this over the network computers.
is there a way to replace the audio data of a single track in a big wav on-the-fly without splitting first and then rejoining?

running XP, also have that .net crap installed... in case.

thanks
All tracks accurately ripped

End of status report

Reply #1
Not sure if my suggestion will be usefull for you but anyway. From my point of view, since you performing rips in a few passes then scheme you're using is not optimal. My suggestion is following:
1.) Rip tracks to separate files.
2.) After ripping use Action -> Create CUE Sheet -> Current Gap Settings
3.) After collecting all normal tracks drop CUE file in foobar2000 and use Convert function with Generate Multi-track files option so you'll have Image+CUE as output.

Hope it will help somehow.

Reply #2
hmm not a bad idea...brings me to another idea.

1. rip big wav + cue
2. rip problematic single tracks
3. load wav+cue into foobar playlist
4. delete inacurate tracks from playlist
5. paste the accurate ones (+rearrange tracks).
6. convert to new accurate wav.

the thing wuth my inital big wav+cue is that I want the original cue produced by eac when ripping the whole disc image, with all the gap infos, dont know if that info is preserved when ripping single tracks.

I dont know if the method mentioned above is possible, but it must be, although I never saw the "Generate Multi-track files" option.
However the rearrangement of the tracks in the playlist needs some short time, would be nice if that could be made in an automated process.

Thank you Skymmer, your idea is useful! But I remain open for more suggestions.

End of status report

Reply #3
dont know if that info is preserved when ripping single tracks.

Single-file images, separate tracks; it really makes no difference. Gap information is kept in the CUE sheet (and log if gaps are detected prior to ripping separate tracks).

Once you process with foobar, however, gap info will be lost (though you simply keep the original CUE).  If there's HTOA or a pregap before the first track greater than the standard 2 seconds, it will be lost as well.  In addition to this, the original CUE will no longer be correct unless you make sure to prepend the correct data.

Your situation perfectly illustrates what is probably the biggest problem with ripping to single-file images.

Reply #4
Or you could just rip to single track files (with the non-compliant cue sheet) and use CUETools to join them into a single file. It will generate a new cue sheet automatically for the single file.

Reply #5
dont know if that info is preserved when ripping single tracks.

Single-file images, separate tracks; it really makes no difference. Gap information is kept in the CUE sheet (and log if gaps are detected prior to ripping separate tracks).

thanks for telling me this. I didnt know the info will be the same. however I somehow prefer the single wav + "the coordinational file" .cue bc i think it gives you a better overview.
then i convert all to single flac file with embedded cue and tags.

Once you process with foobar, however, gap info will be lost (though you simply keep the original CUE).  If there's HTOA or a pregap before the first track greater than the standard 2 seconds, it will be lost as well.  In addition to this, the original CUE will no longer be correct unless you make sure to prepend the correct data.

Your situation perfectly illustrates what is probably the biggest problem with ripping to single-file images.

hmm, well obviously you are one of the brighter lights on this board and when you confirm this difficult situation, then obviously there is no better way when I want to continue my Alt+F7 ripping method in EAC.

I hoped that there was something like a command line utility like shntool which was able to replace audiodata in an image, well obviously there is not.
so looks like I have to continue with my standard procedure with shntool split & join.

as mentioned. this leads to what I want....but its real work everytime I have to go through that...

my dream would be something like this:
Code: [Select]
shntoolx repl -f big.cue big.wav 5 newfolder\05.wav

the program opens the file big.wav goes to position of track 5 and replaces it with the audio data from 05.wav.
do you know of such program?

btw: just did a quick test with the foobar playlist editting method...which lead to fully accurate [no pregap cd]...at least now I only need to move around some lines in a playlist, some clickssome clicks here and there and finished. it would be perfect with a commandline utility like shntool.

Or you could just rip to single track files (with the non-compliant cue sheet) and use CUETools to join them into a single file. It will generate a new cue sheet automatically for the single file.

often that will not help for creating original-like images and for example with arcue.exe checks.

I like to rip the whole image as a whole original-like picture of the audio-cd with al lindexes and pauses. not just the music for casual listening.
the reason why I rip to big wavs is primarliy because most cds will end up accurate.
then I have all set alreadyhow I like it it to be.
its the seldom inaccurate tracks which make a hard life

End of status report