Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Plextools vs EAC using Plextor 16/10/40 (Read 3643 times) previous topic - next topic

Plextools vs EAC using Plextor 16/10/40

Theoretically...

Would it be better to use Plextools with Plextor CD-RW drives when extracting audio, that to use EAC? I've read reports/claims before that using Plextools with Plextor drives is a better combination since Plextools handles audio extraction with better precision that EAC can (whatever that means).

Anyway, I was just wondering what Plextor CD-RW drive owners use? I've been using EAC for the longest while with --alt-preset extreme on Dibrom's LAME compile v3.90.2. I usually tag within EAC and then replaygain with foobar2000 afterwards. I wouldn't mind switching to Plextools since it's also a little faster with extraction speeds. New CDs usually get about 6-8x in EAC while getting full 17-40x in Plextor.

If it turns out that Plextools is theoretically more accurate for Plextor drives, I would switch because even though I am not archiving lossless, I would still like to keep maximum quiality and minimal artifacts. If anyone has some opinions, please share.

So basically, I am asking what the majority of users use.

Love,
voltron

PS
Before I get flamed to use the search, I have and I read this link: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....extools,and,eac
so consider this thread a poll instead.

Reply #1
I used to use EAC with my old Creative drive, but I bought a Plewxriter so
I use Plextools now.

I have had no problems with it.
I wonder why Plextools don't mention info such as 'Extraction Quality' and 'Peak Volume',
but anyway...

Wth Plextools u essentially use C2 error correction. Pio2001 has stated many times that
Plextools should work great with recent Plextor drives (12x +).
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #2
Plextor shows:
Audio Read Offset: -396
Audio Write Offset: -120

Hence the values in EAC should be: 99 and 30, respectively. Correct?

Reply #3
More like:

Read offset correction: +99
Write  offset: -30
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #4
Pio2001 has stated many times that
Plextools should work great with recent Plextor drives (12x +).

I just quote early CD-RW.ORG tests

Reply #5
I've been using Plextools with my PlexWriter 12/10/32A and so far have had no problems. The interface is a little funky, though. It definitely rips faster than EAC (because it uses C2, I assume). It has gotten good rips from a couple of perfect looking discs (ie., no visible scratches, defects, etc) that neither EAC nor Feurio! were able to rip without audible errors. Also, I think it only works with lame.dll, so you can't use it to encode with presets. I've been using Plextools to rip to wav and then Multifrontend to encode to either Monkey's or MPC.

Rob

Reply #6
I've used Plextools since about v1.09 and never really settled with it. It has got progressively better but still lacks something for me. Feurio has always been my favourite.
As regards ripping then I've never had much of a chance to test it. In theory it should work better as it saves the most consistent bytes, rather than the most consistent sectors. In practice I only seem to have CDs that rip without error or won't rip correctly regardless of which program.

One thing I do like is the choice of local cddb as database, cdplayer.ini is starting to show it's limitations now. Probably the most useful format for use across the better ripping and burning programs.

UJ

Reply #7
It has gotten good rips from a couple of perfect looking discs (ie., no visible scratches, defects, etc) that neither EAC nor Feurio! were able to rip without audible errors.

You probably mean (correct me if I am mistaken) that EAC reported read/sync errors, right? Well in that case it is not fair to say EAC gave audible errors. In secure mode, it will either say 'I don't want this (damaged) CD' or give you a perfect rip. All or nothing, that's EAC 

From what I have heard Plextools and EAC are comparable: Plextools is will give quality rips, especially if a recent Plextor drive (24x or newer) is used (improved C2 feature). In some cases classical EAC will be more reliable, in others Plextools (because of its core: C2). Now, I have never tested Plextools myself (don't even have/need a Plextor), but I think it is safe to say you can rely on any of these ripping programs 

Well, One thing is sure: Plextools is fast, very fast 

Reply #8
You probably mean (correct me if I am mistaken) that EAC reported read/sync errors, right?

It's been awhile since I ripped those cds, so I don't recall exactly what EAC might have reported. However, the wav files produced by both EAC (in secure and burst mode) and Feurio! had audible glitches/gaps/artifacts. One cd in particular, disc 1 of Danny Tenaglia Presents Back To Basics, definitely has some problems. The disc looks flawless, no scratches/discoloration/cloudiness. Don't know if it's some kind of copy-disablement or just a bad pressing. All three programs (EAC, Feurio! and Plextools) do fine until about track 10, then they all slow down and rip to the end of the disc at 1x or less, but Plextools was the only one that produced a wav with no audible artifacts.

Rob

Reply #9
EAC's report is of course necessary to know whether EAC did a good job. If it says 'there were errors', you should not be surprised to hear clicks/pops!! 

However there are cases EAC will indeed fail and return bad-sounding WAVs, even though the report was OK. These cases are *very* rare however.

Regards,

liekloo