Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Stream Ripping with FB2k .9.5.6 (Read 3143 times) previous topic - next topic

Stream Ripping with FB2k .9.5.6

Was hoping to borrow some Shoutcast Doomed Halloween to play outside for the kidies this evening.  Just a one-time thing but want more than the 5 minute trial capture software.

Assumed I could do this since stream ripping was easy from previous fb2k -though I never used this feature after testing it years ago, was surprised at how easy it was -& so remembered the feature.

So is there a fb2k component for stream ripping?

edit: nm candy & kids are gone.
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

Reply #1
Probably a bit late for you now, but I'll post this just in case it helps someone in the future.

While I haven't had much luck using fb2k to rip streams, VLC (videolan.org) is able to. This may be a bit confusing, but to rip the stream go to 'file' -> 'open network', and then paste the address of the stream in. Now click the down arrow next to 'play', and choose convert.

In the dialogue that pops up, select the checkboxes next to 'file' and 'dump raw input', and then simply click 'browse' and choose where you want to save the file making sure that you type in the correct file extension - such as .mp3, .wma, .ogg etc.

hope this helps
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

Reply #3
Probably a bit late for you now, but I'll post this just in case it helps someone in the future.
While I haven't had much luck using fb2k to rip streams, VLC (videolan.org) is able to.

Finally got around to testing this, VLC has been my video player for couple of years, don't believe I ever used it for music listening. It does capture the streams. thx
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

Reply #4

While I haven't had much luck using fb2k to rip streams, VLC (videolan.org) is able to. This may be a bit confusing, but to rip the stream go to 'file' -> 'open network', and then paste the address of the stream in. Now click the down arrow next to 'play', and choose convert.

In the dialogue that pops up, select the checkboxes next to 'file' and 'dump raw input', and then simply click 'browse' and choose where you want to save the file making sure that you type in the correct file extension - such as .mp3, .wma, .ogg etc.

hope this helps

This helped (thanks) but at least my VLC didn't work like  this. "Dump raw input" leads nowhere, nothing happens. However trial and error showed specifically not to check "dump raw input" and define Custom profile with MP4 container and MP3 audio codec. Only that works. Ready-made MP3 profile doesn't work either. So mission accomplished but still wondering am I doing something wrong... And maybe this helps someone else.