Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Talking Heads Live In Rome 1980 DVD (Read 6926 times) previous topic - next topic

Talking Heads Live In Rome 1980 DVD

Hi all,

Trying to find out what the audio quality is like on the Talking Heads Live In Rome 1980 DVD.
I want it pretty much just to rip the audio.

A few quick questions:

- Are all music DVDs lossy?
- Is it likely to be AAC?
- If anyone's got it can they tell me what kbps / profile the audio is?

It's only 45 mins - wouldn't that give them an opportunity to have better audio quality?
I don't think this has ever been released "audio only" - if someone knows to the contrary please let me know where I can get hold of it.

Many thanks in advance.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #1
My Ben Folds DVD has a 48KHz PCM audio track.

My Stop Making Sense DVD is only AC3 though IIRC.

I think perhaps you mean AC3, rather than AAC.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
I think perhaps you mean AC3, rather than AAC.

To be honest - I'm not sure what I mean - I probably meant AAC but if I knew anything about DVD audio I'd have meant AC3.
Is there some site which has this kind of "tech info" on DVD releases, for example, is it on the packaging of your Ben Folds DVD?
I'm still at a loss as to how to find out.

Finally, I'm not sure if I posted in the right forum, so if this should go in General Audio or somewhere else, please feel free to move it.

Thanks

C.

Reply #3
I think the cases do normally list the audio tracks contained.  I am at work, so can't check, but I'm 95% certain the Ben Folds DVD mentions PCM on the cover.

Bear in mind that if AC3 has solely been used it will probably be very high bitrate.  I know it's not optimal, but a transcode shouldn't be a major deal.

Play has this for £7 BTW.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
Thanks Synthetic Soul, and thanks too for the Play tip.
I'll go with it since it sounds like the compressed audio on DVD is much higher bitrate than I imagined.

Cheers,

C.