Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Repairing a broken headphone input (Read 7598 times) previous topic - next topic

Repairing a broken headphone input

I have a walkman AND a Discman with the same problem - both have broken/clogged/stripped headphone inputs, so that when I plug a 1/4" set of headphones into them, I'll get static and incomplete signal return across the stereo channel. Usually, I can get the sound to come across correctly if I fudge with the headphone jack, but this isn't very conducive to doing much listening on the go.

Is there any easy way to repair or rectify this situation? I'm not averse to opening it up and tinkering with it, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for..

AK

Reply #1
Open up the device and retouch the solder joints around the jack. They are subject to pulling and vibration due to the weight and motion of the headphone cord and eventually crack even if they are not cold.

At the same time, gently clean the slot the minijack fits into with a cue tip soacked in WD-40. You have to slice off most of the fluff so it will fit without bending things.

Check your headphones in another device first though.

Reply #2
I had the same problem with my Sony MZ-R 55 Minidisk player. When I did a pressure in a certain way on the headphone output, I was rewarded with a stereo signal. Otherwise I only had the left channel working. That sucked, because at that time the left channel of my earphones broke  .

I solved this by opening the case and by soldering the broken contact.

fragtal
I love the moderators.

Reply #3
What if I don't have a soldering iron?

Reply #4
I believe the problem maybe caused by a fault connector also(the "female"on the player).
Those connectors use very small metalic parts inside of it, and they can be damaged or bend very easy.

But first, try to clean  it, as someone recommended it.
To do this, I put one or two drops of WD40 on the male connector prior to inserting it.

I hope it helps.

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #5
What if I don't have a soldering iron?

this shouldn't be a problem. soldering irons are very cheap and often usefull!
I love the moderators.