Skip to main content
Topic: File Operations removes extra periods at end of file name (Read 3810 times) previous topic - next topic

File Operations removes extra periods at end of file name

When I use "Move to" under "File Operations", with the pattern set to "%album artist%\%directoryname%\%filename%", it removes the extra periods at the end of my mp3 file names. For example, if the name of the file is "what_would_you_do....mp3", it changes the file name to "what_would_you_do.mp3" when it is moved. Is there any way to make it so the periods are not removed?

I am using foobar2000 v0.9.6.2 with no optional components installed.

Reply #1
Same problem here.  I started a thread but didn't notice this thread until now.  Looks like everyone's hushing up about this.  Hopefully, that means its a known bug and will hopefully be addressed in the future.  I found no way of circumventing this problem.

Reply #2
%filename% doesn't remove extra periods here

if you mean about %title%, try putting $char(127) or similar at the end:

%title%$char(127)

[edit] doesn't work as said

Reply #3
Yes my problem is with %title%, I'm not sure about any other fields as all my filenames end in %title%.  You can put $char(127) to replace ellipsis if you wish, but it wouldn't work for a case where %title% is "Damage, Inc." and the resulting filename would be something like "08. Damage, Inc..flac".  The extra dot would be wrongly deleted.

Reply #4
I don't want to change the file names of my mp3 files at all. I just want the files moved to a different directory. Is there a way to just keep the file names exactly how they are without applying any change to the file name? Maybe some setting like "Don't touch the files".

What do you guys think? Would that be a useful setting?

Reply #5
That's already possible using "Move to..." with a pattern like "%album artist%\%date% %album%\%filename%".
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #6
That's already possible using "Move to..." with a pattern like "%album artist%\%date% %album%\%filename%".

Not true. I have a pattern exactly like "%album artist%\%date% %album%\%filename%" and "Move to" changes the file names. It removes extra periods at the end of the filename. So if the file name is "this_is_a_song....mp3" it changes it to "this_is_a_song.mp3". Therefore, "Move to" does change file names. I've tried several ways to fix this, but none of them work. "Move to" always removes the extra periods.

Reply #7
Ah, sorry. I forgot what was the main problem here.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #8
While i actually like that foobar removes extra dots (honestly, filenames like "this_is_a_song....mp3" just look ugly) i think a way to manually select (re)naming rules would be nice. Something like checkboxes where you can select/deselect options like "Remove extra dots", "Convert all characters to ascii", "Remove Double Spaces" etc. Maybe (global) custom rules like in mp3 tag too. Just an idea.

Reply #9
I like that idea, smkk, to enable an option for this.  The reason I personally don't like foobar removing the extra dots is because I ALWAYS tag based on filename, and QUITE OFTEN do the reverse and rename files based on tags.  If foobar removes the extra dots, then the filename scheme does not match the tag, making EXACT tagging/renaming operations impossible.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but a quick facet search on "..flac" yielded 229 matches in my library.  That means 229 files would be incorrectly renamed as of right now.

Reply #10
I'm also affected by this new bug/feature. I would advice to make this behaviour a toggle since it messes with the filenames. If someone doesn't want this kind of cosmetics he should be able to switch it off. To me it's very annoying to manually go through the renamed files and readd the missing dots.

Reply #11
The newest beta (0.9.6.4 beta 1) fixes the problem.  Thanks SO much!

Reply #12
Thank you development team!!

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019