Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique Remastered (Read 6153 times) previous topic - next topic

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique Remastered

Does anyone have a copy of the cd yet? I'm interested in knowing if this remaster is worth getting (or not). I mean, I know it's PB & everything but the more I read about it the more I am suspect.

Reply #1
I would also like to know if the remaster is worth getting - is it compressed, clipped, EQ'd or remixed?  Something on the Beastie Boys site said the bass was stronger....

Anyone compare the original release vs. recent remaster?
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #2
I would also like to know if the remaster is worth getting - is it compressed, clipped, EQ'd or remixed?  Something on the Beastie Boys site said the bass was stronger....

Anyone compare the original release vs. recent remaster?

I have heard a track from it myself which I compared to the original and yeah, it's heavily EQ'd to give it much more bass. Its also a little louder than the original. Personally I much prefer the sound of the original.

Reply #3
My original release has a replaygain value of -1.07 dB.
daefeatures.co.uk

Reply #4
My original release is -1.05 dB.  Anyone have the new release and do a comparison of spectra and waveforms?
Was that a 1 or a 0?

Reply #5
The bass is far better and overall the sound quality is brilliant. I think this is a great re-issue of a hip hop classic! x

Reply #6
I have both CDs.  The 20th Anniversary Remaster seems to have a few extra tracks over the original 1989 release.  That's why I bought it.

In any case, initial listening of the Remaster is favorable.  I can also verify that the bass is enhanced and the music seems a few dB louder overall as well.

Remaster Album Gain = -4.06 dB
Remaster Album Peak = 1.028609

Here's a more complete analysis of some of the hit tracks, comparing both the original and the remaster.  I will present Audacity graphs of the remastered tracks only.

NOTE: All tracks ripped by EAC and encoded to MP3 using LAME 3.98.2 -V2

High Plains Drifter
======================

Original ---- Track Gain +0.67 dB, Track Peak 0.778856
Remaster -- Track Gain -3.06 dB, Track Peak 1.028609

Audacity graph of remastered version

Hey Ladies
======================

Original ---- Track Gain -2.13 dB, Track Peak 0.995883
Remaster -- Track Gain -4.54 dB, Track Peak 1.015156

Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun
======================

Original ---- Track Gain -2.62 dB, Track Peak 0.956450
Remaster -- Track Gain -5.32 dB, Track Peak 1.020670

EDIT: Forgot to add the remaster album gain/peak.

Reply #7
Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun (lossless from original CD)

Track Gain : -2.61 dB
Track Peak : 0.977203

Not sure if it would be outside of the TOS of HA but a 20 sec lossless sample from this track for comparison would be great. I can provide a sample from the original.
daefeatures.co.uk