Skip to main content
Topic: Could not update tags (Sharing violation) (Read 7511 times) previous topic - next topic

Could not update tags (Sharing violation)

Here's another reason to allow the user to switch off automatic library monitoring. See this and this thread for further reference.

When doing a lengthy ReplayGain scan operation (10 minutes+), foobar2000 gives me an error message like this:

Code: [Select]
Could not update tags (Sharing violation) on:
"F:\Musik\mp3s\Alben\Chaka Khan - What Cha' Gonna Do For Me (1981)\10 - Fate.mp3"
"F:\Musik\mp3s\Alben\Chicago - Chicago II (1970)\01-03 - Poem For The People.mp3"
"F:\Musik\mp3s\Alben\Christina Aguilera - Christina Aguilera (1999)\08 - Somebody's Somebody.mp3"
"F:\Musik\mp3s\Alben\Clay Walker - Rumor Has It (1997)\05 - Watch This.mp3"

- Select some 20 albums, right-click, ReplayGain / Scan selection as albums (by tags))
- Wait till the scan is over
- In the "ReplayGain Scan Results" window select "Update File Tags"

After the update the errors occur.

You can't reproduce it (i.e. you will get the error on different files when reprocessing the same selection).

Since no other program is running and there is no change to the files outside of foobar2000, this could only be introduced with the new automatic media library. I never had this problem with versions 0.9.5.x, even when the scan and update took many hours to complete.

Greetings,
Michael

Reply #1
Can't reproduce, tried scanning 33 albums by tags. You can try Unlocker to find out which program is causing the sharing violation.

Reply #2
You can try Unlocker to find out which program is causing the sharing violation.

Hi smkk,

I don't think that this would work, since there are no locks on the files after the "Update File Tags" has finished. It seems as if the ML scan has opend the file for scanning, while the ReplayGain process wants to open the file for writing.

Update: I tried unlocker and I was right. Nothing locked.

Reply #3
For the sake of it, have you tried different versions of Foobar to be sure it's really the watching?

Reply #4
For the sake of it, have you tried different versions of Foobar to be sure it's really the watching?

Hi!

Yes, I am sure. I'm a user since 0.8.3. I'm constantly adding CDs to my collection and I let all of them have ReplayGain values via foobar2000. Never had this problem until 0.9.6. When "Rescan Media Library" disappeared the problem appeared ... got it?

Reply #5
Yet nobody seems to be able to reproduce it, i just tried it again with 55 albums, took over 16 minutes and no errors whatsoever. (0.9.6.1 b2)
Try to close all explorer windows, programs, kill all non-windows tasks in the task manager including anti-virus etc and try again.

Reply #6
Yes, I am sure. I'm a user since 0.8.3. I'm constantly adding CDs to my collection and I let all of them have ReplayGain values via foobar2000. Never had this problem until 0.9.6. When "Rescan Media Library" disappeared the problem appeared ... got it?

Yeah, but I mean - have you tried it after installing 0.9.6? There could be something else than Foobar('s media library monitoring) causing this, so I just wondered whether you get the same error with an old installation of Foobar.

Reply #7
OK guys, I'll investigate further ... should take me a couple of days though...

Reply #8
Yep, it's definitely the ML!

I retested with 0.9.6.1, killed all other tasks, exited the virus scanner, nothing else running except foobar.

I watched the process and here's what happened.

After a while the "Updating Files" window got stuck at around 40% and the hard disk began to work heavily. During that the window displayed one song (05 - Black Night.mp3) for a couple of seconds (10 seconds, maybe).

In the background the number of entries on Album List node "ReplayGain Info=Yes" got updated. Then the "Updating Files" window proceeded. As an aside, the other node "ReplayGain Info=No" didn't update accordingly.

After updating the files was finished, one of the entries in the Information window was (you guessed it) ...

Code: [Select]
"F:\Musik\mp3s\Alben\Deep Purple - 24 Carat Purple (1973)\05 - Black Night.mp3"
"F:\Musik\mp3s\Alben\Diana Krall - The Very Best Of Diana Krall (2007)\09 - I've Got You Under My Skin.mp3"

To my mind, the rescan of the ML should only occur, when Updating Files is finished, not in between (there's no point in updating the ML during any file modifications that aren't finished yet).

Or, even better: Let us turn off automatic mode ... ;-)

Michael

Reply #9
Michael, if you'd like to give helpful feedback, you should update your version to the latest beta, and make sure you can reproduce your problem.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #10
I'm having problems with Sharing Violation when lyrics show panel is auto-embedding lyrics in tag.
I have this problem with the last 3 versions of fb2k (I didn't use auto-embedding before)

Reply #11
Michael, if you'd like to give helpful feedback, you should update your version to the latest beta, and make sure you can reproduce your problem.

Ah!

Looks like somebody has been hardworking ... the problem seems to be gone, I couldn't reproduce it!

Reply #12
I can reproduce it only when accessing the same file from multiple locations at the same time. For example with a network drive trying to play the track with my laptop and at the same time trying to change it's tags from my main computer.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019