Skip to main content

Topic: Can flac.exe resample a FLAC file? (Read 4132 times) previous topic - next topic

• JJZolx
  • [*][*][*][*]
Can flac.exe resample a FLAC file?
Recently, it seems that SqueezeCenter (for the Squeezebox) changed its method of doing resampling of 24/96 FLAC files by using SOX to downsample to 24/48 FLAC so that the files can be played on the Squeezebox.  This (if I read it right) also has the effect of now using SOX to play FLAC files with CUE sheets.  Not the best solution, since SOX appears to consume a lot more CPU cycles.

Is flac.exe not capable of resampling FLACs from 24/96 to 24/48?
  • Last Edit: 13 January, 2009, 03:49:31 PM by JJZolx

• tuffy
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1
It's not.  Any resampling will have to be performed by an external application of some sort.

• JJZolx
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Has this capability ever been considered?  Or is it technically infeasible or otherwise undesirable for some reason?

• tuffy
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #3
Though it might be presumptuous to assume Mr. Coalson's motives, I believe it's undesirable to include that option because resampling an audio stream is not a lossless process in general, and thus falls outside FLAC's scope as a lossless audio format.  So, the reference tools leave that job to someone else.

• jcoalson
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Developer
Reply #4
yep, resampling is not lossless and good resampling is hard, so I would rather leave that to another tool.