Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hamachi Lossless Streaming - buffer (Read 6019 times) previous topic - next topic

Hamachi Lossless Streaming - buffer

I am setting up a little Hamachi (VPN) network for music. Some files are lossless and therefore to big for streaming because the buffer length is not big enough.
Is there a plugin for streaming which detects the track-lenght and the speed of the track (i.e.: the upload-speed of the peer) and accordingly buffers enough that the track can be played without gaps?
If not, how can i get the buffer lenght to, lets say, 40000 ms?
regards
obwohl

Reply #1
*push*
Please helpme. Why is it so difficult to lengthen the buffer size?
Thanks in advance!

Reply #2
Foobar Preferences -> Networking?

Reply #3
Moderation: Removed full quote of previous post.

No thats not what i think. Because i stream from an network device witch is not a http stream...
Normally its handled like a hard disk.
There is a limited possibility to lengthen the buffer time in Preferences -> Playback -> Output.
But the maximum is 8s but for >5mb .flacs thats not enough.
So the question is how can i set a longer buffertime.

Thanks in advance.

Reply #4

It would seem to me that you are always going to run into this problem eventually if the hosts upload speed is not high enough.

Reply #5

Obviously.
But a intelligent buffer is more complex I think. If somebody want to write a great plugin, please do exactly that! 

But with a buffer length of 40000 ms and a normal (1 Mbit) upload speed, every track which is not longer than 8 minutes should be fine.

Reply #6
just a thought: converting to a lossy format on the fly before streaming would probably be a lot easier than writing such a plugin

Reply #7
Another thing you could try is to activate full file buffering in the Playback branch of the advanced preferences.

Reply #8
just a thought: converting to a lossy format on the fly before streaming would probably be a lot easier than writing such a plugin

Another thing you could try is to activate full file buffering in the Playback branch of the advanced preferences.

The first suggestion could work but that is not very easy to realize (just in time conversion and then stream...)

The second suggestion is not what i want to do. "full file buffering" buffers the WHOLE file, if he file is smalller or equal the declared file size. If the file is bigger, NOTHING is buffered.

But thanks for the help!

Reply #9
Bump.

And two additional points:

1. Right now my music files are located on the west coast, while my laptop is with me on the east coast.  I have hamachi installed on both computers.  My west coast computer has enough upstream capacity to buffer mp3s (420kbps according to speedtest), but those files still stutter.  I notice I can do a regular file transfer on even 320kbps files and the transfer time outpaces the playing time of the file.  Yet, streaming that same file produces insufferable pausing in foobar, even when I set the buffer length to 8000ms.

2. Is there any way to disable automatic file monitoring?  Love the new feature, but its not practical for my current situation.  Right now, I'm resorting to an older version of foobar without the feature.