Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Soundblaster Live on kx drivers: is it a "patch"? (Read 2978 times) previous topic - next topic

Soundblaster Live on kx drivers: is it a "patch"?

I've found a lot in this forum about improving the sblive by using kx drivers, and using software upsampling. One thing remains unclear to me though:
Are these things considered a kind of "patches", to help people who are unlucky to already own a sblive? Or would this be also a setup worth buying, delivering good value for money?

Reply #1
well imo the sblive 5.1 is a good value.  I got mine for $40 cdn, which is fairly cheap as soundcards go.  It doesn't have great analog quality, but that doesn't matter since I use its spdif output to my yamaha amp.  Its also great for games, and has great compatibility.  I don't use the kX drivers, btw, as they don't support spdif ac3 passthrough (at least the last version I tried didn't)

Of course if I could find the m-audio revolution anywhere in Canada I'd probably be running that...

Reply #2
well imo the sblive 5.1 is a good value.  I got mine for $40 cdn, which is fairly cheap as soundcards go.  It doesn't have great analog quality, but that doesn't matter since I use its spdif output to my yamaha amp.  Its also great for games, and has great compatibility.  I don't use the kX drivers, btw, as they don't support spdif ac3 passthrough (at least the last version I tried didn't)

Of course if I could find the m-audio revolution anywhere in Canada I'd probably be running that...

Thanks for the answer (I know, I missed out on my "own" thread for 2 days  )

Well actually I was talking about analog performance - for digital out there are cheaper solutions that suffice I think. But is it good value as d/a equipment? Most of the cards recommended on these fora are much dearer, like the Revo you mention. That wouldn't make a fair comparison.

My question, rephrased somewhat, is: if you hadn't bought a Live yet, and had exactly so much to spend, would you go out and buy one with the intent of running kX drivers on it, or could this amount of money be better spent?

Reply #3
My question, rephrased somewhat, is: if you hadn't bought a Live yet, and had exactly so much to spend, would you go out and buy one with the intent of running kX drivers on it, or could this amount of money be better spent?

I think that with kx drivers, SSRC resampling and use of rear outputs, the quality can be among the best ones at this price, if not the best.