Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5 (Read 237863 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #200
"Open Containing Folder" (contextual menu) does not work anymore with beta 4 (and maybe 3 2 1).

This hasn't been working for me for a while, but I thought it was because I'm using Emerge Desktop (an alternate Windows shell).  Are you using one of those?

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #201
Windows is often behaving stupid, but that is another matter. Actually it's very likely that the method is not working with the drive because it is an external USB drive. But this is a very common situation and should be handled correctly.

Tell me, have you ever seen the drive sleep without foobar running? USB drive enclosures almost never implement the standard ATAPI sleep feature (the thing windows sends out for "turn off hard disks after xx minutes"). AFAIK only one USB-ATA chip does. Some of them have their own power-down function that spins down the disk after an arbitrary amount of time. If the drive really does power save normally, the blame for its failure to do so when foobar is running has to go to windows or whoever made the drive box.

As for your other problem of having too many drive letters: a) do you really need all that? and b) the solution is plug everything in at once, then use the disk management console to rearrange the drive letters as you see fit. After that windows will remember which letters were assigned to which device, and they won't change. And in you have more more drives & partitions than the 26 letters available, then you really need to kick the digital packrat habit...

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #202
Moderation: Here, fixed the formatting for ya.

Thanks Yirkha .. i'm really sorry i couldn't fix it myself, i was just leaving the office, and i tried to find where i've done something wrong with no avail.. 
Thanx

As for your other problem of having too many drive letters: a) do you really need all that? and b) the solution is plug everything in at once, then use the disk management console to rearrange the drive letters as you see fit. After that windows will remember which letters were assigned to which device, and they won't change. And in you have more more drives & partitions than the 26 letters available, then you really need to kick the digital packrat habit...

a) unfortunately, yes, i do, I'm a graphic designer/IT tech... i keep on receiving different kinds of removable media all the day long, including my own couple of flash disks, SD cards & External HDDs, and not forgetting the network drives..
b) that's not possible! and I'm not a packrat      !! i just happened to be working with a company with over 50,000 employees and a network (the part i'm connected to) of 50 distinct domains, the one i'm connected to right now contains 5158 PCs, and i'm always sent access requests from people we collaborate with... so... if you're worried about the 26 letters available... i guess we can get them covered a couple of thousand times 

and i just keep on bringing one thing to mind... and i believe we have so many people here on HA forums who agree with it,
We are NOT pro-automation, if we were so, then we wouldn't have bothered to change and customize the command lines for Ogg Vorbis encoding, even though it's not recommended even by it's developers! we would've stuck to WMP's "auto updateing" service, which gives all the wrong tags to your music library, instead of manually doing that, or using programs like MusicBrainz, and adding to its database and correcting errors wherever found. and above all, we wouldn't have bothered to customize all the code we were allowed to do in Foobar2000 itself, and we would've stuck to JetAudio, WMP, iTunes or Winamp...

I'm not saying it's not a nice feature, for some it's a heavenly peace of mind! but i'm just saying that many of us would love to have the option to have our hands controlling every single file and I/O operation going through the program. which we had in the ages of 0.9 and the glorious 0.8.3!!! and that what gave distinction to Foobar over every other player/manager/converter!!!

I really LOVE Foobar... that's why i care to not see it turn into yet another skin-plagued automated beast like WMP & Winamp 3!!

I hope that made sense...

Best of luck and love to you all

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #203

Windows is often behaving stupid, but that is another matter. Actually it's very likely that the method is not working with the drive because it is an external USB drive. But this is a very common situation and should be handled correctly.

Tell me, have you ever seen the drive sleep without foobar running? USB drive enclosures almost never implement the standard ATAPI sleep feature (the thing windows sends out for "turn off hard disks after xx minutes"). AFAIK only one USB-ATA chip does. Some of them have their own power-down function that spins down the disk after an arbitrary amount of time. If the drive really does power save normally, the blame for its failure to do so when foobar is running has to go to windows or whoever made the drive box.
I wouldn't have noticed it, if it wasn't the case. The drive woke up, when I started the new fb2k version a second time, so the library scan was already done. Monitoring this with ProcessMonitor showed, that fb2k was constantly polling the library directory on that drive. I don't see why this should be the fault of windows. This specific drive indeed has an own sleep feature, but I've got another external case, which seems to support the standard sleep feature. I have to check how this behave in such a situation.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #204
So now we have beta 5 (last beta before the final), unfortunately still in the converter the setting at "convert track to individual file" Name format: has an impossible small size.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #205
Thanks for the latest beta! Now I can add a "Show recently played" custom button to the toolbar

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #206
and i just keep on bringing one thing to mind... and i believe we have so many people here on HA forums who agree with it, ..
The foobar2000 forum is only hosted on HA. It is not a subforum of the HA forum. As such you will find different people on the HA forum and on the foobar2000 forum.

We are NOT pro-automation, ..
The media library is and always has been a feature that helps automation. The auto-update feature has been added because it was in popular demand.

I'm not saying it's not a nice feature, for some it's a heavenly peace of mind! but i'm just saying that many of us would love to have the option to have our hands controlling every single file and I/O operation going through the program.
The media library is designed to work with a fixed set of fixed locations, so it is easy to see it is not suitable for your environment in the first place - even before the auto-update feature was added. Instead of using the media library, you could manually manage a playlist for each drive. You can save a playlist containing the list of files on a drive in that drives root folder (or in any folder that is a parent folder for all audio files in the playlist). That way the playlist file will contain relative paths, and can be reloaded easily even if the drive has been assigned a different drive letter.

which we had in the ages of 0.9 and the glorious 0.8.3!!! and that what gave distinction to Foobar over every other player/manager/converter!!!
Glorifying the past does not actually make it better.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #207
So how about this fix for the drive switching problem:
Detect the partitions by their serial numbers instead of the drive letters.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #208
foobar 0.9.6b5 ignores some files in my media library filder I know for sure are there. I started doubting my sanity but then I read this
Code: [Select]
Hidden and system files

The Media Library now respects hidden and system flags; files or folders with those flags will be ignored. This can be used to selectively hide cuesheets or files referenced by cuesheets.

Where can I turn this feature off?

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #211
Why are your files hidden in the first place?

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #212
Because I use one database folder with several apps. I have my favourite encoding app, my favourite tagging app, my favourite db-management app and my favourite player (foobar). I use hidden files to hide songs from some automated processes but foobar should be able to play them all.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #213
Hello,

In any foobar < 0.96 I was able to play flac resampling to 192K via SRC plugin with only a decrease of the computer general speed. With 0.96 beta, it is impossible, like resources are not enogh. Is it normal?

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #214
Hello,

In any foobar < 0.96 I was able to play flac resampling to 192K via SRC plugin with only a decrease of the computer general speed. With 0.96 beta, it is impossible, like resources are not enogh. Is it normal?

What do you mean by "resources are not enogh" ?  It works like a charm under WinXP. If you use Vista (or 2008 Server) -- yes, you cannot use SRC resampler and fb2k 0.9.6 betas: SRC was compiled with old incompatible SDK.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #215
What do you mean by "resources are not enogh" ?  It works like a charm under WinXP. If you use Vista (or 2008 Server) -- yes, you cannot use SRC resampler and fb2k 0.9.6 betas: SRC was compiled with old incompatible SDK.

I mean that in non beta foobar any version I can play any file with SRC/192K resampler with no problem and foobar cpu usage is at about 80%. In the last beta, foobar cpu usage is at about 95% and quite no file (especially loseless compressed ones) plays with pauses and pops. I am using WinXP SP3.

So, the problem is SRC uses an incompatible SDK... Arggg that is a big loss for me

Anyway, in my first post I forgot to thank you all for this wonderful peace of software, which is regarding pure pleasure like music is.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #216
I mean that in non beta foobar any version I can play any file with SRC/192K resampler with no problem and foobar cpu usage is at about 80%. In the last beta, foobar cpu usage is at about 95% and quite no file (especially loseless compressed ones) plays with pauses and pops. I am using WinXP SP3.

So, the problem is SRC uses an incompatible SDK... Arggg that is a big loss for me

I don't think this is a problem for WinXP SP3

Anyway, in my first post I forgot to thank you all for this wonderful peace of software, which is regarding pure pleasure like music is.

Just to clarify: I think that by SRC you mean Secret Rabbit Code. I'm not the author of this plugin, and have no connection with it.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #217
I created a new Converter/Commandline Encoder Settings preset.  I used Convert to convert some files.  I edited the Converter/Commandline Encoder Settings preset.  I was left with two entries (pre-edit and post-edit) in the Converter Setup dialogue.  This was confusing as I didn't know which one was correct, as they both had the same title (given that they were both in fact the same Converter/Commandline Encoder Settings preset).

Restarting foobar did not remove the item.

Following a forced reboot I see the pre-edit item has been removed.

I've no idea how long this has been evident, or whether it is a desired feature.  In this circumstance I found it detrimental.

I do like the Converter Setup presets though.
I'm on a horse.

foobar2000 v0.9.6 beta 5

Reply #218
Converter Setting Not Saved Correctly

I use two convert programs in addition to the default ones, Monkey's Audio and fooCDTect2. Since I have changed the file locations of these two programs, I manually adjusted their settings in foobar2000. But sometimes (not always) when I use converter, it gives me an error because the program locations somehow revert back to their old location settings. This has happened quite a few times and I am no idea what made foobar2000 do this. And this also happened with older foobar2000 (not the beta versions). Somehow the settings are not saved in foobar2000.cfg correctly, I suppose. Thank you for your consideration.

ftc