Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lars on Death Magnetic's Sound Quality (Read 5087 times) previous topic - next topic

Lars on Death Magnetic's Sound Quality

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=105822

*Sigh* Let's all blame the internets.

"But I've been listening to it the last couple of days in my car, and it sounds fuckin' smokin'."

Yeah. That's actually the sound of your TWEETERS smoking. Clearly, being in one of heavy metal's most important bands for the last 20 years has taken its toll on your hearing. 

Reply #1
Wow. Anyone who would pick the CD version over the other would be crazy.

Edit: The big difference to me is the lack of any stereo separation on the CD version. Maybe thats just the recording or my speakers, idk. Thoughts?
Is your perfect hearing worth <$200? -- USE EAR PLUGS

Reply #2
I'm going to stick my neck out and say he's right.

If the band enjoys it, and many many listeners enjoy it, then we have some serious cognitive dissonances going on if we really believe we're on firm objective ground when we oppose the mastering.

Reply #3
The big difference to me is the lack of any stereo separation on the CD version.

That's a direct result of excessive dynamic compression. It's not your gear, despite what Lars Ulrich and the fans would have you believe.

Quote from: Lars Ulrich link=msg=0 date=
I will say that the overwhelming response to this new record has exceeded even our expectations as far as how positive it is. So I'm not gonna sit here and get caught up in whether [the sound] "clips" or it doesn't "clip." I don't know what kind of stereos these people listen on. Me and James [Hetfield] made a deal that we would hang back a little and not get in the way of whatever Rick's vision was. That's not to put it on him - it's our record, I'll take the hit, but we wanted to roll with Rick's vision of how Metallica would sound.

So far, more than 12,000 people have signed an online petition requesting that the band release a newly remixed or remastered version of the album. Not going to happen, says drummer Lars Ulrich, the first member of Metallica to comment publicly on the controversy.

He doesn't want my money? That's fine, I guess he's more than rich enough. Just don't come bitchin' about illegal filesharing now.

The whole thing is just freakin' hopeless… Workprints of highly anticipated blockbusters get leaked and released to P2P, I think engineers should start leaking material that fans (maybe anonymous professionals) could remaster themselves and make much better sounding releases.

Reply #4
I think engineers should start leaking material that fans (maybe anonymous professionals) could remaster themselves and make much better sounding releases.

Except that it would probably make it pretty easy to figure out who leaked it.

Reply #5
Heh. Indeed, many problems are easily solved by flagrantly breaking the law.