Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Restoring Marantz gear (Read 3510 times) previous topic - next topic

Restoring Marantz gear

I have exhausted myself looking for information to help me restore the 15 or so Marantz receivers that I have acquired over the last year or so. I have found many sites that lead me to websites to purchase capacitors but I am struggling to understand how to place an order. There are so many different capacitors out there that it gets overwhelming to me. Is there a catalog out there that some one could reference to order from?  I have the tools and the know how to get this done but do not have the patience to look thru all the caps to replace the old ones. Can some one help here?

Thanks,
Rick

Restoring Marantz gear

Reply #1
I have exhausted myself looking for information to help me restore the 15 or so Marantz receivers that I have acquired over the last year or so. I have found many sites that lead me to websites to purchase capacitors but I am struggling to understand how to place an order. There are so many different capacitors out there that it gets overwhelming to me. Is there a catalog out there that some one could reference to order from?  I have the tools and the know how to get this done but do not have the patience to look thru all the caps to replace the old ones. Can some one help here?

Thanks,
Rick

One of the folks here mentioned a DigiKey part number he used on a piece of gear. I looked up the part and it was a Panasonic 'FM' series capacitor. It turns out the FM series is better then the FC series I _used_ to buy as replacements. They even cost a little less. BTW where I work we buy several thousand repair caps every year and since we don't like having to do it again, I try to get the best ones I can.

For surface mount 'lytics ( the absolute WORST pieces of junk ) I get Panasonic 'FK' or 'HD' series. FM and FC for through-hole units. The ceramic and mylar caps almost never fail but those pesky electrolytics....

BEWARE of _leaky_ 'lytics as the acid WILL ruin the PCB (and sometimes SMELLS real BAD during de-soldering). It MUST be cleaned off before mounting the new unit. Also, a _good_ soldering iron is mandatory. A temperature controlled Weller or Hakko is good. A Metcal is by FAR the best. A Metcal STTC-126 tip is excellent for removal, cleaning out and re-soldering. Clean the flux off after you're done as IT too can become conductive and alter the operation. I like MG Chemicals flux remover but 91% isopropyl is almost as good and easier to get.

Restoring Marantz gear

Reply #2
I can't think of a better place than the Marantz Audio forum at AudioKarma. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people over there.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

Restoring Marantz gear

Reply #3
Thank you so much gentlemen for the replies. I have been a member of Audiokarma for about a year now and you are right, there is a vast amount of knowledge there. All the members are very friendly and genuinely helpful in their own way. What I mean is, they speak in terms that are way above my head when it comes to details. I am in no way an electrical engineer but I have a fascination for repairing the pieces that I have found. I have learned that electrolytics are not we want in our gear but I do not have a clear understanding as to what is the best replacement and is there a place that one could find all they need (CAPS) to do a restoration project? maybe a one stop shop.

Thanks again,
Rick