Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero AAC Streaming to PS3 (Read 7983 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero AAC Streaming to PS3

I am stuck on this issue for nearly a year now 

I have converted a number of my movies to h264 with both x264 and nero recode.
Streaming the video (only) over wireless to my PS3 i have no problems.

I have converted the sounds tracks to AAC using foobar2000 + Nero AAC encoder.
Streaming music albums made this way over wireless to my PS i have no problems.

When I mux the AAC (2 or 5.1) with h264 using any number of muxing problems, i have problems streaming to the PS3 over wireless. I know there is no network problem because if a mux the video with mp3 or create an m2ts with h264 + AC3 it streams over wireless no problem.

I have tried using Nero Recode for both the Video+Audio with the same results.

Oddly, these MP4s made with x264 video and nero aac audio or nero video + aac and muxed with mp4box or mp4creator, etc all play if the file is copied to the PS3 with no problems.

It is only when streaming the MP4 (video+aac) there is a problem.

Basically, the stream continually stops and starts.

I was hoping someone might know if i need to make any special settings for the AAC when it is to be muxed with video or something.

thanks

Reply #1
Have you tried hinting the tracks? Might help when streaming.

Reply #2
Have you tried hinting the tracks? Might help when streaming.

I have tried everything. i.e. ABR, VBR, CBR (foobar2000 says use this for streaming).
I have tried lowering the bit rate.

I even tried using the winamp aac encoder.

It seems there is some incompatibility with the PS3 and streaming AAC when packaged with video.
audio only is fine.

Reply #3
Have you tried streaming the content over a wired network?  You keep saying wireless so that is why I ask.  Also, what are you using to stream the video?  Make sure that it isn't transcoding the video on-the-fly while streaming.  Nero's streaming application and TVersity can both transcode the video on-the-fly while streaming.

Reply #4
It seems there is some incompatibility with the PS3 and streaming AAC when packaged with video.
audio only is fine.
I've had no problems so I think the problem is your end.

Have you tried streaming the content over a wired network?  You keep saying wireless so that is why I ask.  Also, what are you using to stream the video?  Make sure that it isn't transcoding the video on-the-fly while streaming.  Nero's streaming application and TVersity can both transcode the video on-the-fly while streaming.
And this is what I think is probably your problem too.

I've made up a short clip (21 seconds. Size is 6.5MB) from a movie trailer off the Apple website. MP4Box info:
Code: [Select]
* Movie Info *
Timescale 2997 - Duration 00:00:21.354
Fragmented File no - 2 track(s)
File Brand mp42 - version 1

File has no MPEG4 IOD/OD

Track # 1 Info - TrackID 1 - TimeScale 2997 - Duration 00:00:21.563
Media Info: Language "English" - Type "vide:avc1" - 517 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Visual Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x21
AVC/H264 Video - Visual Size 848 x 352 - Profile Main @ Level 3
NAL Unit length bits: 32
Self-synchronized

Track # 2 Info - TrackID 2 - TimeScale 48000 - Duration 00:00:21.376
Media Info: Language "English" - Type "soun:mp4a" - 1002 samples
MPEG-4 Config: Audio Stream - ObjectTypeIndication 0x40
MPEG-4 Audio AAC LC - 6 Channel(s) - SampleRate 48000
Synchronized on stream 1
Track Meta type: "mdta" - 0 resource item(s)

That clip works on my setup being streamed over wireless to the PS3. If that works then the problem may lie elsewhere...

Reply #5
Prawns

I got the same problem with your file.

I have since upgraded my wireless network to 802.11n and i can stream HD to other devices from TVersity with no problems.

Now i am sure it is the PS3 and/or firmware, because if i use a wired connection from the PS3 to the router and still use a wireless connection between the router and the PC, i have no problems streaming a HD MP4 file with AAC.

I will try Nero's new build of the encoder and see if these new AAC tracks works any better, but i doubt it.

cheers

Reply #6
Now i am sure it is the PS3 and/or firmware, because if i use a wired connection from the PS3 to the router and still use a wireless connection between the router and the PC, i have no problems streaming a HD MP4 file with AAC.
You know that if you wirelessly connect both the PS3 and the computer and the PS3 receives the content like so:
  ,__________,                ,________,                ,_____,
  | Computer | <--Wireless--> | Router | <--Wireless--> | PS3 |
  `----------'                `--------`                `-----`
You're bringing down the overall wireless quite a bit.

If you can, I'd try connecting in the computer via wire to the router then wirelessly connect the PS3. If that isn't possible, I guess a workaround might be using two different routers on separate wireless channels kinda like:
  ,__________,                ,________,             ,________,                ,_____,
  | Computer | <--Wireless--> | Router | <--Wired--> | Router | <--Wireless--> | PS3 |
  `----------'    ex: Ch 1    `--------`             `--------`    ex: Ch 6    `-----`