Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME dlls with alt presets (Read 5692 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME dlls with alt presets

i'd love to see alt presets supported in official LAME dlls, preferably via new LAME_QUALTIY_PRESET values (yes, cool edit filter UI is retarded, i'm planning to either rewrite it or release sourcecode). i'm making new diskwriter for Winamp3; i already have working LAME support (with much better UI than in cool edit, hehe); we're going to bundle LAME dlls with Winamp3 setup. can you guys help ? rjamorim, anyone ?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #1
Sorry, man, I can't code.

Any other way I can help?

Reply #2
If you want to be a bit more specific about what help you're actually looking for, I'll tell you if I may be of service! 

john33

Reply #3
those 'official' LAME dlls don't support alt presets, right ? i think they really should. i know that there are unofficial builds which can do that, but they are too messy (IMO). i just want Winamp3 to support alt presets "out-of-the-box" without any rough hacks.

[edit] why no option to specify full commandline in lame_enc.dll interface ? that would rule. time to make new standard for lame_enc.dll config structs maybe ?

Reply #4
I agree. My DLLs were put together for a purpose. Simply to map into them with the same presets would be easy enough. But give me a little time to think about the rest. I am sure a new standard is needed. You want to have something similar, in principle, to the LameDrop frontend in terms of options, that is?

Sadly, I doubt much will move officially, though.

john33

Reply #5
According to lame developers page, the author of lame_enc.dll is Albert Faber (Author of CDex, btw)

http://lame.sourceforge.net/developers.html

Maybe he is willing to help?

(BTW, why isn't Darin Morrison listed there? Even our great friend Roel appears in the list...)

Reply #6
btw,
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/b25shiz.zip
contains some new winamp3 stuff downgraded to latest public beta (2.5), includes new diskwriter with LAME support. you can have a look at it.
i've never tried lamedrop; i just want LAME dlls to have all features of commandline version. making such dll shouldn't be extremely complicated , but i guess that making it official will be much worse.

Reply #7
I totally agree about the .dll situation and --alt-presets needing to be supported.  I've been meaning to work on this for some time but haven't been able to recently due to my move.  I should be able to resume some work on LAME soon and I'll see what I can do about adding the presets into the DLL.  Making it official shouldn't really be a problem.. what I'm more concerned about is how the current behavior of the DLL is not optimal and how a much better system should be in place to take care of this kind of thing.  Something for consideration... JD (one of the developers) spoke of a possible DLL restructuring coming up which would make this type of thing much less of a hassle in the future.  I think Alexander and him are discussing some sort of unified presets system which the CLI frontend and DLL interface to, so they will always be up to date.  Maybe you should make a post on the lame-dev list..

Reply #8
offtopic rant: why doesn't lame_enc.dll support multiple streams ? that's a major pain in our asses (using LAME for shoutcasting), and it's gonna cause various really lame problems when people start to use it everywhere.

Reply #9
A couple of remarks:

1) If Albert Faber was invovled in the lame dll development, does that mean that we should expect a better integration of the alt-presets in CDEX (today only available through john33's hack or the command line for an external encoder)?

2) I read several times (though never heard it myself) that one should expect lower quality using the dll than the exe file, is this true? if yes, why?

Thanks!

Reply #10
low quality when using dll in exe ? what where why ? that's NOT true.

Reply #11
The DLL is only a different 'not quite frontend'. They share exactly the same coding engine.

As to the integration within CDex, if I had MSVC available I would do it myself. The work is not exactly difficult, we just need someone to do it. The code is freely available through CVS, but I only have MinGW32 and to try to rework the whole of CDex with that would be a real pain. Pity, though.

john33

Reply #12
I started to do it, I actually looked through the CDEX code. But I think that the best solution - really - is just to upgrade the dll. If the AOL guys want it too, why don't they just throw a teeny tiny fraction of their monolithic resources at it?

Reply #13
just uploaded something new: http://www.blorp.com/~peter/out_enc_test.exe - at least can use r3mix preset via regular interface.
again, somebody #@! at least fix the damn multiple stream support in official versions - we're having problems with LAME encoding support in Winamp3 because of lame_enc.dll code being retarded. you won't be able to use regular LAME dlls with wa3 shoutcaster component (and possibly with the diskwriter).
if anyone makes new API standard for LAME dlls and gives me headers/binaries, i'll quickly hack winamp2 output, cool edit filter and wa3 diskwriter to support them (just get them to the official LAME page; you don't have to mess up compatibility with old versions, you can still keep old blade-ish exported symbols).
yes, i'd love to do that myself, but i have tons of other projects (all wa2/wa3 output drivers, mod/midi/wav plugins, etc).