Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which mic would you buy?

Sennheiser e825s
[ 1 ] (33.3%)
Shure PG48
[ 2 ] (66.7%)
Other (in £25 - £40 range)
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Topic: Mic for speech on internet radio (Read 3323 times) previous topic - next topic

Mic for speech on internet radio

I do an internet radio show once a week and up to now I've been using my dad's SM58. However I'm moving away to University on Sunday and so will need to buy gear of my own. I've been looking at the Sennheiser e825s and Shure PG48 at the moment. What do you think of these two, which would you buy? Or is there something better I can get cheap on ebay for about the same price (maybe second hand?).

Cheers

edit: Forgot to mention that I run direct into my Asus P5B motherboard's sound card. Until I can afford a mixer anyway. Any suggestions for a USB mixer (if that even exists)?

Reply #1
For a regular mic you need a preamp. Preferably usb sound card with a preamp. You won't get a mic plus sound card for 40 pounds. Go with a cheap USB microphone like logitech for the moment until you can afford a sound card and microphone.

Reply #2
It's not a USB device, but I've been in the habit of recommending the Presonus Firebox to people who want to run phantom-powered mics into their computers.  The one that I have treats me quite well.

Reply #3
Seriously, look into Behringer microphones. They have some incredible values, with not much difference in real sound quality compared to mega-buck microphones. Use an inexpensive Behringer mixer like the Xenyx 808 with phantom power to send the signal to your sound card's line in jack. It's actually very high quality, very low noise and has a great built in headphone amp as well.

-Chris