Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how could i group by "Album Artist" tag (Read 8423 times) previous topic - next topic

how could i group by "Album Artist" tag

i have many Various Artist collections in my library so i'd like to make same sort view like in QCD when all recordings are grouped by ALBUM ARTIST tag

i'm started today with foobar so i'm sorry for such silly question

Reply #1
You do not need to configure anything in foobar2000, its default settings already make use of album artist.

However, there are some inconsistencies between applications regarding which field to use. For MP3 files, Quintessential Player writes it to a TXXX ID3v2 frame with the description "ALBUMARTIST". foobar2000 uses a TXXX frame with "ALBUM ARTIST" instead - note the space. Some other players even use the TPE2 frame ("BAND").

Solution:

Open your files with the properties dialog in foobar2000, and copy <ALBUMARTIST> to "Album Artist".
You can copy and paste all values at once by right-clicking into the name column.

Reply #2
wow! thank you - now is much better view. only various artists with multiple dates are in mess but this is not so annoying. should i just remove dates from view or there is any way to fix that

PS is it possible to get rid of numbers of albums and tracks shown in brackets after artist/albums?

Reply #3
Couple simple steps to answer this for yourself.

Look at the bottom of your Library list view pane. What is it sorted by?

Then go to preferences > media library > album list

Look for the formatting string that matches step one.
If the date that foobar is picking up is from a field that you can edit it will be obvious in the title formatting string.
Next, Click add new and title it anything, say,  album artist no year.

Copy and paste the formatting string and adjust. Delete the %field that is year%  and you should be good to go. If it does not look exactly correct, there may be a space or dash or set of brackets you may also need to adjust. Nothing you can hurt.

Go back to your standard foobar and now sort by your new configuration and see if it is what you want.

terry