Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which version of Lame to use? (Read 5203 times) previous topic - next topic

Which version of Lame to use?

Is there much difference between Lame -v 2,3 or 4? I want to get as much compression without sacrificing too much audio quality.  And how would you use Mp3 gain with dBpoweramp.  I would like to convert my FLACs to one of the Lame versions while also encoding with the mp3 gain.  And is 89db a good place to start with mp3 gain?

Reply #1
Locate the "Wiki" link in the upper part of this page, click it and there will be the LAME article, which has answers.

Reply #2
Please use search. But first read pinned topics.

Here's fast answers:

- Use latest version (v3.98)
- Use -V 2
- Use Replaygain instead of MP3gain
- Use foobar2000 instead of dBpoweramp (fb2k calculates Replaygain values automatically)

Reply #3
Use Replaygain instead of MP3gain

Considered that his player might not support replaygain, perhaps a portable player?

If you want to calculate Replaygain values, add the ReplayGain DSP effect when converting. If you want to apply replaygain to the conversion then add the Volume Normalize DSP effect and switch to Replaygain track mode.

Reply #4
Please use search. But first read pinned topics.

Here's fast answers:

- Use latest version (v3.98)
- Use -V 2
- Use Replaygain instead of MP3gain
- Use foobar2000 instead of dBpoweramp (fb2k calculates Replaygain values automatically)

If I use replay gain how do I know if it will work with my portable?  I did add it to dBpoweramp and converted it.  The file plays on my Sony but how do I know if replay gain is working?

Reply #5
Well if you thought about it, you'd probably come up with something like:
Make a copy of A and call it B, apply X to B and see if A and B are different, if they are X has had an effect.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #6
I use the V3 setting (LAME 3.98). The size difference between V2 and V3 is much larger than that of V3 and V4 so I think V3 is the perfect balance between size and quality. By the way, I can't ABX well below V3, I use it just in case of having a killer sample.

Reply #7
Is there much difference between Lame -v 2,3 or 4?

A bit off-topic but.... do you realize that -V (which is actually written in capital letter) is not the version to use? It is the quality level you want (and as such, the more or less filesize it will take).

The rest of the replies should have answered your intended question.

The funny thing is that lame has had versions 2, 3 and 4. (I guess there eventually was a version 1, but that really had to be looong ago)

Reply #9
Check "Replay-gain output files as albums" in the Converter dialog.