Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is there any way to convert a 24 bit wav to a 24 bit apple lossless? (Read 9309 times) previous topic - next topic

is there any way to convert a 24 bit wav to a 24 bit apple lossless?

dBPoweramp converter only supports 16 bits wav

iTunes doesn't keep the folder structure

Reply #1
My personal opinion is that for home listening you can choose a different lossless format that supports higher bitrate/samplerate, and for your DAP you can dither it down to 16 bits and convert to some apple format with ease on your hearth...

Reply #2
My personal opinion is that for home listening you can choose a different lossless format that supports higher bitrate/samplerate, and for your DAP you can dither it down to 16 bits and convert to some apple format with ease on your hearth...

i will only do that if it is not possible

Reply #3
You can convert these files with foobar2000. Just make sure that in the converting preferences you make sure the "keep lossless sources at original bit depth" check box is checked otherwise it'll convert them to 16bit as default.

You'll need the apple lossless encoder though, but I'm not entirely sure where to get it. I'll reply back again once I've found it unless someone gets there first.

Edit: link was dead

Reply #4
I think I've found it. Well it's not an encoder in itself, but it basically points the file to the itunes own encoder. It's called itunesencode and it's found at rarewares.

I'll have a quick play with it myself now to check that it works. And I know you've had problems with the file/folder structure that irunes has been giving you, but I think that by using foobar we can get around that. I'm currently investigating.

Please note that you need itunes installed for it to work, but looking at your previous posts it looks like you already have it.

Edit: Added a bit more info to make it clearer.

Reply #5
Right, I've cracked it. As I suggested earlier you should download and install foobar2000. Then download itunesencode. It's a .zip file at the moment, but assuming you are using windows xp or vista you should be able to open it without a 3rd party zip extractor such as win-zip or win-rar. Extract the .exe to your foobar2000 installation directory. Usually "C:\program files\foobar2000".

Then download the ALAC decoding support from here (second one down). Then extract the .dll file into your foobar2000/components directory. This file is to stop errors coming up after the conversion as foobar cannot read apple lossless files by default. Edit: You won't be able to play the 24bit files back in foobar as the decoder doesn't seem to support 24bit files, but at least it'll stop the transcoding errors.

Then set up your encoder in the foobar preferences menu. This is pretty self explanatory and the readme file in the itunesencode.zip file will help a lot.

Now, if you want to preserve the folder structure, in the converter preferences menu, right at the top, you need to modify the line for "Single Tracks". You can use modifiers such as %artist% or %album% for this. You'll get a preview of the output directory in the preview box below it. Remember to use backslashes ( \ ) when going up a directory and not forward slashes as it might confuse the converter.

So if you want a directory like Artist\Album\Discnumber you should use: %artist%\%album%\%discnumber%. Pretty self explanatory really.

I hope I've helped.

Edit: I've just realised you're using wav files. Unless in the past you've added tags to them using dBpowerAMP, the whole preserve file structure thing won't work.

Instead, what you need to do is when you convert the files, just use "Convert to same folder" in the convert context menu. I know you'll end up with apple lossless files and wav files in the same folder, but at least you'll have preserved the folder structure!

Reply #6
Right, I've cracked it. As I suggested earlier you should download and install foobar2000. Then download itunesencode. It's a .zip file at the moment, but assuming you are using windows xp or vista you should be able to open it without a 3rd party zip extractor such as win-zip or win-rar. Extract the .exe to your foobar2000 installation directory. Usually "C:\program files\foobar2000".

Then download the ALAC decoding support from here (second one down). Then extract the .dll file into your foobar2000/components directory. This file is to stop errors coming up after the conversion as foobar cannot read apple lossless files by default. Edit: You won't be able to play the 24bit files back in foobar as the decoder doesn't seem to support 24bit files, but at least it'll stop the transcoding errors.

Then set up your encoder in the foobar preferences menu. This is pretty self explanatory and the readme file in the itunesencode.zip file will help a lot.

Now, if you want to preserve the folder structure, in the converter preferences menu, right at the top, you need to modify the line for "Single Tracks". You can use modifiers such as %artist% or %album% for this. You'll get a preview of the output directory in the preview box below it. Remember to use backslashes ( \ ) when going up a directory and not forward slashes as it might confuse the converter.

So if you want a directory like Artist\Album\Discnumber you should use: %artist%\%album%\%discnumber%. Pretty self explanatory really.

I hope I've helped.

Edit: I've just realised you're using wav files. Unless in the past you've added tags to them using dBpowerAMP, the whole preserve file structure thing won't work.

Instead, what you need to do is when you convert the files, just use "Convert to same folder" in the convert context menu. I know you'll end up with apple lossless files and wav files in the same folder, but at least you'll have preserved the folder structure!

thanks

but foobar 2000 gives me an error when converting:

An error occured while finalizing the encoding process (Object not found) : "I:\dBpowerAMP Music Converter\musica depeche mode remasters\Depeche Mode\2006 - (1981) Speak & Spell (2006 Remaster)\I_\foobar2000\2006 - (1981) Speak & Spell (2006 Remaster)\01 - New Life.m4a"

I have converted .wv (wavpack) files to wav (both 48000 hz and 24 bit)

The perfect would be to have both ALAC and AAC, in 48000 hz and 24 bits. AAC supports 24 bits??

Reply #7
foobar 2000 gives me an error when converting:

An error occured while finalizing the encoding process (Object not found) : "I:\dBpowerAMP Music Converter\musica depeche mode remasters\Depeche Mode\2006 - (1981) Speak & Spell (2006 Remaster)\I_\foobar2000\2006 - (1981) Speak & Spell (2006 Remaster)\01 - New Life.m4a"

Does this happen after iTunes has converted the files? And do you have the ALAC decoder component from here installed?

The perfect would be to have both ALAC and AAC, in 48000 hz and 24 bits. AAC supports 24 bits??

I'm pretty sure AAC supports 24 bits. As for converting the wavpack files to wav files, have you done this in dBpowerAMP and kept the tags or have you lost all the tags?

If you wanted you could just use the wavpack files as input in foobar2000 and it will try to preserve as many of the tags as possible. For example when I was trying to work out how to use itunesencode.exe for you I was using FLAC files as input and it was working perfectly. Foobar just converts the FLAC files (or in your case wavpack files) to wav files as an intermediate and passes the wav onto itunesencode so it can transcode into alac and then it adds all the tags that it could from foobar.

Reply #8

foobar 2000 gives me an error when converting:

Does this happen after iTunes has converted the files? And do you have the ALAC decoder component from here installed?

I'm pretty sure AAC supports 24 bits. As for converting the wavpack files to wav files, have you done this in dBpowerAMP and kept the tags or have you lost all the tags?

If you wanted you could just use the wavpack files as input in foobar2000 and it will try to preserve as many of the tags as possible. For example when I was trying to work out how to use itunesencode.exe for you I was using FLAC files as input and it was working perfectly. Foobar just converts the FLAC files (or in your case wavpack files) to wav files as an intermediate and passes the wav onto itunesencode so it can transcode into alac and then it adds all the tags that it could from foobar.

I still have the wavpack files, and "tag & rename" soft will write the tags correctly (I have the files perfectly named), so there is no problem with tags in this case.

my problem is to set up the encoder. I have both ALAC decoding support (foo_input_alac.dll in components directory) and iTunesEncode.exe in foobar2000 directory. I have this configuration:

How can I configure it correctly? thanks

Reply #9
In the single tracks line of the output filenames area in the first screenshot, I see you have pointed it to an absolute directory (i.e. the I:\ drive). In practice this is not such a good idea and should just be left as:

Code: [Select]
%_directoryname%\%_filename%

You will be able to point the converter to the foobar2000 directory in your I:\ drive later when you start the actual conversion.

Other than that, the only problem might be with your parameters line if you've missed something out (as I can't see the whole line I don't know this for sure). Assuming you want to preserve the artist, album, track name, track number, genre and year tags, you should set up the parameters line like this:
Code: [Select]
-e "Lossless Encoder" -a "%artist%" -l "%album%" -t "%title%" -g "%genre%" -y %date% -n %tracknumber% -i %s -o %d -d

If there's any other tags you want to save and aren't sure how to put them in, just leave another post, otherwise it should be working fine. At least it is for me. I hope it works for you too. Keep us posted.

Reply #10
Is there are way to maintain the Album Artist tag? It seems the script doesn't support it.

Reply #11
It doesn't look like there is a command to maintain the album artist tag, however you could use a workaround like using mp3tag to move the values of album artist to composer or another unused tag supported by itunesencode, and then back again once the conversion is complete.