Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SQ decoding / quadrophonic vinyl decode software > .mp3 (Read 11414 times) previous topic - next topic

SQ decoding / quadrophonic vinyl decode software > .mp3

Hi All,

I know this is posted in another area but I  don't know if it's in the right area and I have been searching on the Net for months for this topic and I need some help.

I have a few SQ encoded quadrophonic vinyl LPs that I really want to encode to .mp3 AAC or any other codec that supports multiple channels but also to have reproduce in full quad stereo in playback on modern hardware.

I know of an OLD analogue decoder called Tate II in hardware, but they are expensive and very old now!
Surely this would be easier to reproduce in software like most dolby decoders are now.

Is there any software/codecs than can accuratly decode SQ vinyl records and if so, how would I re-enocde to playback on modern sourround systems. I guess Dobly Digital or multitrack .mp3 would more than suffice as the SQ data only has 4 chans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
"I guess Dobly Digital or multitrack .mp3 would more than suffice as the SQ data only has 4 channels."

At least Fraunhoffer IIS MP3 Surround Commandline Encoder V1.5 is limited to mono, stereo and 5.1 input wav files. Nero Digital Audio as I remember is limited too. So probably you should add two missing channels creating wav's filled with zeroes.

Reply #2
I don't know of any software to do the processing to quadraphonic. There might be some out there, but my gut feeling is that you will need to buy the hardware to do it.

But I do know a bit more about your compression options, having dealt with multichannel audio a bit myself. I would recommend encoding a lossless backup with WavPack (FLAC doesn't support more than 2 channels IIRC). If you need a lossy version for space reasons or to play on a DVD player or something, I would go with using the Nero AAC encoder. "Surround MP3" isn't really a standard, and I don't think it is that widely supported. You could also try using Dolby Digital (aka AC-3) to compress it, and this would be the most compatible with DVD players and such, but the freely available encoders aren't that great so you might have to shell out to buy a commercial one.

Reply #4
Is there any software/codecs than can accuratly decode SQ vinyl records and if so, how would I re-enocde to playback on modern sourround systems. I guess Dobly Digital or multitrack .mp3 would more than suffice as the SQ data only has 4 chans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the information in http://www.diamondcut.com/vforum/showthread.php?t=441 and http://hometown.aol.com/matrixquad/encode.htm is correct, decoding should be almost trivial. Record channel L and R (if you can - 24 bit and 96 kHz). Then do the job manually according to the mentioned formulas using the best available for you wave processing software. At the end convert wavs to 16 bit @ 44.1 or 48 kHz and then encode.

Very useful should be also http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7939

Reply #5
Yep, hardware decoder is your only choice methinks.