Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What can I use to upgrade my iPod Nano firmware? (Read 11360 times) previous topic - next topic

What can I use to upgrade my iPod Nano firmware?

Hi
i use foobar or winamp to fill up my ipod nano

but i don't knwo how update it

for example i have the firm 1.1.3 , is the last?

in short , is there software (outside itunes) to update my ipod?

or a url (site) where can i know the last ipod nano firmare

thanks & best regards

Reply #1
i don't think there is another option but use iTunes.

Reply #2
If yours is 1st gen iPod nano, there is a way. But you have to get dumped firmware somehow and the means to install Rockbox firware would work. The latest firmware of nano 1G is version 1.3.1.

Reply #3
If yours is 1st gen iPod nano, there is a way. But you have to get dumped firmware somehow and the means to install Rockbox firware would work. The latest firmware of nano 1G is version 1.3.1.

thanks
nope    is 2 segeration 

Reply #4
I miss having the iPod Updater as a separate application.....

Reply #5
I think Apple bundled the firmware updater into iTunes so that you are forced to use it and I can't think of a thing I have run across that would allow firmware updating outside of iTunes.  Other than changing the firmware itself (a la Rockbox).
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice

Reply #7
It no longer exists.  Whatever you may find will only update your iPod to whatever version was written at the time.  The last release of  the iPod updater was back in 2005, if my memory serves me correctly.  Without a hack of some kind you'll have to use iTunes for anything more recent than that.

Reply #8
The current firmware versions are listed on the apple website.

Reply #9
It looks like you have the most current firmware on your 2G iPod nano so there is no need to update the firmware.  But yeah, iTunes is now the only way to do this as Apple stopped using the stand alone iPod updater software back in 2005.  It was possible for 3rd party applications like Winamp to update your iPod but that was back when you could download the iPod updater separately.  Now that it is written inside of iTunes, no other program but iTunes can update your iPod (or you can go the Rockbox route which seems like more work than installing iTunes).

Reply #10
It no longer exists.  Whatever you may find will only update your iPod to whatever version was written at the time.  The last release of  the iPod updater was back in 2005, if my memory serves me correctly.

You're not far off. The last standalone ipod updater was dated June of 2006, and it is still available from Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ipo...forwindows.html

The nano firmware included in this download is version 1.2, which is not the latest, but it is later than the version the original poster had..

Reply #11
It no longer exists.  Whatever you may find will only update your iPod to whatever version was written at the time.  The last release of  the iPod updater was back in 2005, if my memory serves me correctly.  Without a hack of some kind you'll have to use iTunes for anything more recent than that.

The current firmware versions are listed on the apple website.

It looks like you have the most current firmware on your 2G iPod nano so there is no need to update the firmware.  But yeah, iTunes is now the only way to do this as Apple stopped using the stand alone iPod updater software back in 2005.  It was possible for 3rd party applications like Winamp to update your iPod but that was back when you could download the iPod updater separately.  Now that it is written inside of iTunes, no other program but iTunes can update your iPod (or you can go the Rockbox route which seems like more work than installing iTunes).

It no longer exists.  Whatever you may find will only update your iPod to whatever version was written at the time.  The last release of  the iPod updater was back in 2005, if my memory serves me correctly.

You're not far off. The last standalone ipod updater was dated June of 2006, and it is still available from Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ipo...forwindows.html

The nano firmware included in this download is version 1.2, which is not the latest, but it is later than the version the original poster had..

thanks mates

do u know what make me angry ?

when i disconnect ipod via software under xp (and let it plugged) ,it stops to  recharge the battery 

Reply #12
Keep in mind, version 1.1.3 is for the 2G Nano (which is what I have). That is the latest 2G Nano version and most likely, one of the last if not the last updates for the 2G Nano (Apple historically issues few if any updates for old iPod models after a new iPod model is released).

Version 1.2 (which is what last standalone iPod updater offers) is for the 1G iPod Nano. It is not compatible with the 2G iPod nano's.

Basically, you are stuck. If Apple decides to release a future firmware update for the 2G iPod Nano (or really, any iPod), you have to use iTunes to update.

Worst case, you just run the update on iTunes then reload the iPod (if the music is erased) with Winamp/Foobar.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #13
Keep in mind, version 1.1.3 is for the 2G Nano (which is what I have). That is the latest 2G Nano version and most likely, one of the last if not the last updates for the 2G Nano (Apple historically issues few if any updates for old iPod models after a new iPod model is released).

Version 1.2 (which is what last standalone iPod updater offers) is for the 1G iPod Nano. It is not compatible with the 2G iPod nano's.

Basically, you are stuck. If Apple decides to release a future firmware update for the 2G iPod Nano (or really, any iPod), you have to use iTunes to update.

Worst case, you just run the update on iTunes then reload the iPod (if the music is erased) with Winamp/Foobar.

thanks good news 

by the way , there is a bug in this firmare , if u make a smart playlist (sorted by random) , you will notice that ipod will load every time the  tracks in the same order (no random)

i know there is a feature to play random track , i'm talking about the smart playlist

Reply #14
do u know what make me angry ?
when i disconnect ipod via software under xp (and let it plugged) ,it stops to  recharge the battery 

i use a powered hub w/ the laptop.  it'll continue to charge after stopped and even if the laptop is off.

Reply #15
i know there is a hacked firmware for ipod nano 2 gen , did you use it?