Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Choosing a DAC or External Soundcard (Read 2373 times) previous topic - next topic

Choosing a DAC or External Soundcard

This topic has been addressed on the forums a bit already but I am not satisfied with the information I found. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Right now I am on a notebook (Thinkpad T61) and looking for a solution for external sound. I am trying to pick out a USB DAC or a consumer external soundcard. I am leaning toward the DAC options right now because this will be used only to listen to music (my files vary in quality) and maybe an occasional DVD. I do not play games and so do not need fancy distortion or deceptive effects.  I want impressive high quality output, but I am not quite an audiophile.

I plan on using these M-Audio AV 40 speakers.

I would like to go as low as I can go on price without sacrificing much quality. Something under $100 would be nice but going over $100 is acceptable if it makes a huge difference.
RCA output would be nice but not necessary. If I can get something without line-in and recording features to save a few bucks that would be a great too. I might take portability into consideration.

This is what I've looked at so far:
Asus Xonar U1 (I found great reviews after much digging)
M-Audio Transit
E-MU 0202
Behringer UCA202
Echo Indigo (I don't want to spend the $160 price but if the quality difference is really significant I'll get it)
I'm not gonna bother with Creative X-Fi products.

Can anyone offer more suggestions or dismiss one of the above options? Would any of the above be overkill?

Reply #1
Given the very good rules on this forum I cannot claim product superiority.  But I think that this guy's models :

http://www.diykits.com.hk/

Are very good.  The Citypulse with the USB input or the Zhaolu with a Coax/Tosklink to USB converter are worth the little bit more you will pay (in my very unscientific opinion).  Great fellow to deal with and a product that is reliable and does what it is supposed to do. 

- Jason

Reply #2
Thanks for the tipoff. I hadn't looked at those before, but those products are definitely beyond what I need and also out of my price range.